Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Studies

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
      Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
      Thanks,
      Dave Fox

      In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
      source2sea@... writes:

      I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
      I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
      ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
      that sort of stuff.

      There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
      anything specifically about hammocks.

      -John
      www.SourcetoSea.www

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
        amendment2@... wrote:
        > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
        > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

        Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
        and climate?

        I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
        Grand Canyon NP.
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
          The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
          No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

          Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
          info your looking for.

          Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
          Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
          Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
          Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

          The link to more of their resources is:
          http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

          If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
          visiting: http://www.lnt.org

          I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
          further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
          Good Luck!

          PS:
          I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
          something for you.

          --
          Scott
          www.AntiFuel.com

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
            Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
            recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
            More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
            contact for current information.