Re: Studies

  • John and Jessica
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
      I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
      ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
      that sort of stuff.

      There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
      anything specifically about hammocks.

      -John
      www.SourcetoSea.net

      --
      Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
      expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
        Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
        Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
        Thanks,
        Dave Fox

        In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
        source2sea@... writes:

        I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
        I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
        ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
        that sort of stuff.

        There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
        anything specifically about hammocks.

        -John
        www.SourcetoSea.www

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
          amendment2@... wrote:
          > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
          > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

          Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
          and climate?

          I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
          Grand Canyon NP.
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
            The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
            No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

            Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
            info your looking for.

            Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
            Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
            Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
            Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

            The link to more of their resources is:
            http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

            If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
            visiting: http://www.lnt.org

            I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
            further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
            Good Luck!

            PS:
            I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
            something for you.

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com

          • amendment2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
              Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
              recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
              More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
              contact for current information.