[Hammock Camping] Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007

      > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
      is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
      i like that set-up.
      > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
      picture storage i've used. ...tim
      > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

      Tim,

      It is this one
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
      one of its brothers.

      Dave
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
        Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
          Thanks for all the great info!

          I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
          the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
          and I have already made one for someone else.

          Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

          Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
          recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

          --
          Scott
          www.AntiFuel.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
              some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
              but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                  Dave,

                  The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                  effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                  configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                  enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                    Scott,

                    It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                    side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                    room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                    the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                    to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                    on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                    walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                    block the wind at all.

                    Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                    some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                    hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                    time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                    to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                    difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                    structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                    light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                    minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                    time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                    backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                    the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                    was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                    negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                    the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                    just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                    conditions we expect.

                    Dave

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                    > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                    > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                    > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                    > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                    > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                    > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                    > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                    > > less stakes and guylines.

                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                      Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                      sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                      clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                      > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                      leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                      the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                      ground. ...> Dave

                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                        search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                          Dave,

                          I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                          in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                          a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                          going too far?

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                            http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                            Dave

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                              Scott,

                              I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                              is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                              didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                              on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                              quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                              little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                              always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                              see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                              sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                              ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                              such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                              dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                              call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                              be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                              just didn't work well for me.

                              I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                              shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                              discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                              you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                              life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                              rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                              times.

                              Dave

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                              > Dave,
                              >
                              > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                              > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                              > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                              > going too far?
                              >
                              > Scott

                            • Sandy Kramer
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                > >
                                > > sandy in miami > >

                              • Sandy Kramer
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                  i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                  http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                  I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                  hammock lying on the ground!!

                                  <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                  > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                  as
                                  > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                  > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                  <sandykayak@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > sandy in miami > >

                                • Thomas Vickers
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                    Yes.
                                    One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                    using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                    the trail in a rainstorm

                                    Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                    TV
                                  • Carey Parks
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                      Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                      aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                      a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                      ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                      > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                      >
                                      > Dave
                                      >
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                      > >
                                      > > sandy in miami > >

                                    • C C Wayah
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                        > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                        > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                        > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                        > too far?

                                        There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                        Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                        Rogene
                                      • Jack Rowe
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                          In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                          Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                          There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.