Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
      ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
      i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
      PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

      That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
      that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
      at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
      corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
      playing that optical illusion game on you.

      Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
      in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
      enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
      to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
      on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
      link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

      Dave

      > dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular
      tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007

        > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
        is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
        i like that set-up.
        > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
        picture storage i've used. ...tim
        > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

        Tim,

        It is this one
        http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
        one of its brothers.

        Dave
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
          Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

          --
          Scott
          www.AntiFuel.com

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
            Thanks for all the great info!

            I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
            the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
            and I have already made one for someone else.

            Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

            Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
            recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                    Dave,

                    The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                    effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                    configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                    enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                      Scott,

                      It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                      side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                      room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                      the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                      to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                      on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                      walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                      block the wind at all.

                      Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                      some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                      hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                      time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                      to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                      difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                      structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                      light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                      minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                      time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                      backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                      the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                      was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                      negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                      the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                      just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                      conditions we expect.

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                      > Dave,
                      >
                      > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                      > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                      > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                      > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                      > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                      > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                      > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                      > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                      > > less stakes and guylines.

                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                        Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                        sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                        clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                        > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                        leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                        the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                        ground. ...> Dave

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                          search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                            Dave,

                            I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                            in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                            a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                            going too far?

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                              http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                              Dave

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                Scott,

                                I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                just didn't work well for me.

                                I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                times.

                                Dave

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                > Dave,
                                >
                                > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                > going too far?
                                >
                                > Scott

                              • Sandy Kramer
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                  aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                  a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                  ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                  > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                  >
                                  > Dave
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                  > >
                                  > > sandy in miami > >

                                • Sandy Kramer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                    i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                    I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                    hammock lying on the ground!!

                                    <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                    > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                    as
                                    > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                    > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                    >
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                    > >
                                    > > Dave
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                    <sandykayak@>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > sandy in miami > >

                                  • Thomas Vickers
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                      Yes.
                                      One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                      using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                      the trail in a rainstorm

                                      Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                      TV
                                    • Carey Parks
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                        Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                        aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                        a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                        ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                        > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                        >
                                        > Dave
                                        >
                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                        > >
                                        > > sandy in miami > >

                                      • C C Wayah
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                          > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                          > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                          > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                          > too far?

                                          There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                          Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                          Rogene
                                        • Jack Rowe
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                            In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                            Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                            There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.