[Hammock Camping] Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
      Tim,

      That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
      that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
      at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
      corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
      playing that optical illusion game on you. <grin>

      Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
      in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
      enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
      to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
      on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
      link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

      Dave

      > dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular
      tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
        ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
        i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
        PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007

          > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
          is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
          i like that set-up.
          > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
          picture storage i've used. ...tim
          > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

          Tim,

          It is this one
          http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
          one of its brothers.

          Dave
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
            Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
              Thanks for all the great info!

              I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
              the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
              and I have already made one for someone else.

              Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

              Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
              recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                  some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                  but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                      Dave,

                      The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                      effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                      configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                      enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                        Scott,

                        It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                        side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                        room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                        the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                        to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                        on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                        walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                        block the wind at all.

                        Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                        some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                        hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                        time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                        to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                        difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                        structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                        light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                        minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                        time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                        backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                        the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                        was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                        negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                        the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                        just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                        conditions we expect.

                        Dave

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                        > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                        > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                        > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                        > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                        > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                        > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                        > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                        > > less stakes and guylines.

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                          Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                          sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                          clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                          > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                          leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                          the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                          ground. ...> Dave

                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                            search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                              Dave,

                              I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                              in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                              a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                              going too far?

                              Scott

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                                Dave

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                  Scott,

                                  I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                  is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                  didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                  on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                  quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                  little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                  always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                  see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                  sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                  ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                  such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                  dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                  call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                  be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                  just didn't work well for me.

                                  I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                  shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                  discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                  you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                  life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                  rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                  times.

                                  Dave

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                  > Dave,
                                  >
                                  > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                  > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                  > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                  > going too far?
                                  >
                                  > Scott

                                • Sandy Kramer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                    aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                    a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                    ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                    > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                    >
                                    > Dave
                                    >
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                    > >
                                    > > sandy in miami > >

                                  • Sandy Kramer
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                      i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                      I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                      hammock lying on the ground!!

                                      <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                      > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                      as
                                      > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                      > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                      >
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                      > >
                                      > > Dave
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                      <sandykayak@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > sandy in miami > >

                                    • Thomas Vickers
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                        Yes.
                                        One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                        using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                        the trail in a rainstorm

                                        Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                        TV
                                      • Carey Parks
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                          Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                          aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                          a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                          ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                          > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                          >
                                          > Dave
                                          >
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                          > >
                                          > > sandy in miami > >

                                        • C C Wayah
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                            > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                            > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                            > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                            > too far?

                                            There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                            Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                            Rogene
                                          • Jack Rowe
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                              In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                              Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                              There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.