RE: [Hammock Camping] weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
      "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote: Scott,
      The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
      is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
      it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
      hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
      Nest as a weathershield.

      Stoikurt

      also, the weather shield is water proof (non-breathable) so if you use it on the outside of the nest, you will soon have a damp/wet nest from condensation. ...tim

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
        dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?
        and that's not t-back brian is it? ..tim

        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Scott,

        It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
        protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
        visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
        diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
        flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
        less stakes and guylines.

        There is obviously a place for both maximum protection style tarps and
        minimum protection and middle protection tarps. The colder the
        weather the more important protection from the wind becomes, so in one
        sense you could make it a warm weather versus cold weather argument.
        On long trips without any other shelter you might appreciate more
        coverage when you have to live under a tarp in prolonged rains for
        cooking, changing clothes, etc. Rectangular tarps also provide much
        better rain and splash protection if you want to sleep on the ground
        with a tarp.

        A rectangular tarp with center tie-outs along the sides can be rigged
        similar to a diamond shaped tarp with one end or both ends partially
        closed off for wind protection. I've done that many times when I have
        been in exposed sites and the wind picked up on me. When I set up in a
        conventional A-frame, I had to get up and reposition two stakes to
        block off the wind coming at me from one end of the tarp; if I
        suspected the wind might come from that direction I just set my tarp
        up that way. This is a link to some photos of how I did this a month
        or so ago when I was expecting wind and snow at an exposed site-
        http://tinyurl.com/ys4hnb . You can't do that with diamond shaped or
        hex shaped tarps because that portion of the tarp simply isn't
        there... you have to rely on something else like WeatherShields or
        SuperShelters or some other scheme to make up for not having enough
        tarp to do the job. With that tarp, I can hang it high and wide to
        have an excellent view and ample rain protection from most rains or
        hang it low and tight to block off most winds and shed snow. You do
        want a steeper pitch to shed snow, it doesn't roll off like water. It
        has to slide off and if the pitch isn't steep enough it will get heavy
        enough to cause a tarp to droop and collect enough to cause a major
        problem with the weight of the snow.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        .

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
          Tim,

          That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
          that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
          at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
          corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
          playing that optical illusion game on you. <grin>

          Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
          in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
          enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
          to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
          on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
          link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

          Dave

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
            ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
            i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
            PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
            Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007

              > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
              is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
              i like that set-up.
              > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
              picture storage i've used. ...tim
              > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

              Tim,

              It is this one
              http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
              one of its brothers.

              Dave
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

                --
                Scott
                www.AntiFuel.com

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Thanks for all the great info!

                  I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
                  the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
                  and I have already made one for someone else.

                  Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

                  Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
                  recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

                  --
                  Scott
                  www.AntiFuel.com

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                      some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                      but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                          Dave,

                          The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                          effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                          configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                          enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                            Scott,

                            It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                            side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                            room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                            the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                            to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                            on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                            walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                            block the wind at all.

                            Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                            some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                            hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                            time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                            to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                            difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                            structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                            light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                            minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                            time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                            backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                            the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                            was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                            negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                            the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                            just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                            conditions we expect.

                            Dave

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                            > Dave,
                            >
                            > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                            > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                            > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                            > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                            >
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                            > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                            > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                            > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                            > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                            > > less stakes and guylines.

                          • Sandy Kramer
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                              Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                              sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                              clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                              > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                              leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                              the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                              ground. ...> Dave

                            • Sandy Kramer
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                  Dave,

                                  I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                  in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                  a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                  going too far?

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                    http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                                    Dave

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                      Scott,

                                      I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                      is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                      didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                      on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                      quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                      little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                      always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                      see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                      sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                      ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                      such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                      dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                      call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                      be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                      just didn't work well for me.

                                      I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                      shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                      discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                      you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                      life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                      rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                      times.

                                      Dave

                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                      > Dave,
                                      >
                                      > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                      > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                      > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                      > going too far?
                                      >
                                      > Scott

                                    • Sandy Kramer
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                        aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                        a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                        ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                        > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                        >
                                        > Dave
                                        >
                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                        > >
                                        > > sandy in miami > >

                                      • Sandy Kramer
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                          i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                          I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                          hammock lying on the ground!!

                                          <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                          > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                          as
                                          > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                          > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                          >
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                          > >
                                          > > Dave
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                          <sandykayak@>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > > >

                                          > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > sandy in miami > >

                                        • Thomas Vickers
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                            Yes.
                                            One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                            using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                            the trail in a rainstorm

                                            Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                            TV
                                          • Carey Parks
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                              Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                              aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                              a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                              ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                              > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                              >
                                              > Dave
                                              >
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                              > >
                                              > > sandy in miami > >

                                            • C C Wayah
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                                > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                                > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                                > too far?

                                                There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                                Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                                Rogene
                                              • Jack Rowe
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                  In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                                  Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                                  There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.