Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4 5:28 AM
      Scott,

      It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
      protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
      visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
      diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
      flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
      less stakes and guylines.

      There is obviously a place for both maximum protection style tarps and
      minimum protection and middle protection tarps. The colder the
      weather the more important protection from the wind becomes, so in one
      sense you could make it a warm weather versus cold weather argument.
      On long trips without any other shelter you might appreciate more
      coverage when you have to live under a tarp in prolonged rains for
      cooking, changing clothes, etc. Rectangular tarps also provide much
      better rain and splash protection if you want to sleep on the ground
      with a tarp.

      A rectangular tarp with center tie-outs along the sides can be rigged
      similar to a diamond shaped tarp with one end or both ends partially
      closed off for wind protection. I've done that many times when I have
      been in exposed sites and the wind picked up on me. When I set up in a
      conventional A-frame, I had to get up and reposition two stakes to
      block off the wind coming at me from one end of the tarp; if I
      suspected the wind might come from that direction I just set my tarp
      up that way. This is a link to some photos of how I did this a month
      or so ago when I was expecting wind and snow at an exposed site-
      http://tinyurl.com/ys4hnb . You can't do that with diamond shaped or
      hex shaped tarps because that portion of the tarp simply isn't
      there... you have to rely on something else like WeatherShields or
      SuperShelters or some other scheme to make up for not having enough
      tarp to do the job. With that tarp, I can hang it high and wide to
      have an excellent view and ample rain protection from most rains or
      hang it low and tight to block off most winds and shed snow. You do
      want a steeper pitch to shed snow, it doesn't roll off like water. It
      has to slide off and if the pitch isn't steep enough it will get heavy
      enough to cause a tarp to droop and collect enough to cause a major
      problem with the weight of the snow.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering making a
      large
      > tarp for a few reasons.
      >
      > 1) for the experience
      > 2) to protect my underquilt
      > 3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather
      >
      > I currently have an HH backpacker light with the small asym tarp. I
      like
      > the tarp because it is small and light weight. I am planning on
      switching
      > from the HH super shelter to a JRB Nest as an underquilt. I already
      own a
      > Nest and love it. It may help shave a little weight too.
      >
      > I really like to keep things light and am wondering if I could get
      away with
      > using something like the Hennessey Weather Shield Bottom, instead of
      making,
      > or purchasing a larger tarp to protect my underquilt. I have never
      used an
      > underquilt yet so I am not really sure what to expect.
      >
      > Hmmm, maybe there is some way I could convert my HH supershelter to
      > something like the HH Weather Shield Bottom.
      >
      > Any questions, comments, concerns and advice is greatly appreciated.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --
      > Scott
      > www.AntiFuel.com
      >
      > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4 5:31 AM
        Scott,
        The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
        is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
        it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
        hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
        Nest as a weathershield.

        Stoikurt

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4 6:12 AM
          "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote: Scott,
          The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
          is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
          it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
          hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
          Nest as a weathershield.

          Stoikurt

          also, the weather shield is water proof (non-breathable) so if you use it on the outside of the nest, you will soon have a damp/wet nest from condensation. ...tim

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4 6:17 AM
            dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?
            and that's not t-back brian is it? ..tim

            Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Scott,

            .

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4 6:30 AM
              Tim,

              That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
              that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
              at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
              corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
              playing that optical illusion game on you. <grin>

              Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
              in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
              enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
              to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
              on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
              link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

              Dave

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4 6:47 AM
                ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
                i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
                PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4 7:43 AM

                  > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
                  is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
                  i like that set-up.
                  > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
                  picture storage i've used. ...tim
                  > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

                  Tim,

                  It is this one
                  http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
                  one of its brothers.

                  Dave
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4 5:50 PM
                    Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

                    --
                    Scott
                    www.AntiFuel.com

                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4 6:04 PM
                      Thanks for all the great info!

                      I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
                      the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
                      and I have already made one for someone else.

                      Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

                      Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
                      recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

                      --
                      Scott
                      www.AntiFuel.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4 7:05 PM
                          some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                          but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 9 4:09 PM
                              Dave,

                              The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                              effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                              configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                              enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 9 6:08 PM
                                Scott,

                                It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                                side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                                room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                                the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                                to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                                on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                                walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                                block the wind at all.

                                Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                                some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                                hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                                time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                                to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                                difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                                structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                                light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                                minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                                time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                                backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                                the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                                was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                                negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                                the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                                just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                                conditions we expect.

                                Dave

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                > Dave,
                                >
                                > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                                > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                                > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                                > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                                >
                                > Scott
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                                > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                                > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                                > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                                > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                                > > less stakes and guylines.

                              • Sandy Kramer
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 10 12:13 PM
                                  Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                                  sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                                  clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                                  > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                                  leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                                  the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                                  ground. ...> Dave

                                • Sandy Kramer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 10 12:14 PM
                                    search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10 12:15 PM
                                      Dave,

                                      I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                      in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                      a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                      going too far?

                                      Scott

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 10 1:40 PM
                                        http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                                        Dave

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 10 2:10 PM
                                          Scott,

                                          I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                          is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                          didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                          on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                          quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                          little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                          always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                          see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                          sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                          ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                          such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                          dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                          call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                          be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                          just didn't work well for me.

                                          I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                          shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                          discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                          you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                          life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                          rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                          times.

                                          Dave

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                          > Dave,
                                          >
                                          > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                          > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                          > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                          > going too far?
                                          >
                                          > Scott

                                        • Sandy Kramer
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 11 1:59 PM
                                            aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                            a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                            ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                            > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                            >
                                            > Dave
                                            >
                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                            > >
                                            > > sandy in miami > >

                                          • Sandy Kramer
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 11 2:04 PM
                                              i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                              http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                              I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                              hammock lying on the ground!!

                                              <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                              > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                              as
                                              > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                              > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                              >
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                              > >
                                              > > Dave
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                              <sandykayak@>
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > > >

                                              > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > sandy in miami > >

                                            • Thomas Vickers
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11 2:05 PM
                                                Yes.
                                                One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                                using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                                the trail in a rainstorm

                                                Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                                TV
                                              • Carey Parks
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 11 2:07 PM
                                                  Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                                  aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                                  a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                  ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                                  > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                  >
                                                  > Dave
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > sandy in miami > >

                                                • C C Wayah
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 11 3:17 PM
                                                    > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                                    > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                                    > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                                    > too far?

                                                    There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                                    Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                                    Rogene
                                                  • Jack Rowe
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 12 9:15 AM
                                                      In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                                      Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                                      There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.