Re: [Hammock Camping] weather shield vs. larger tarp

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
      Scott wrote:
      > I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering
      > making a large tarp for a few reasons.
      >
      > 1) for the experience
      > 2) to protect my underquilt
      > 3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather

      I bought the tyvek for a double-rainbow ground cloth (US$10.00). I
      washed in a washing machine (cold water, no soap) the way Tarptent.com
      recommends.

      This piece of tyvek is the just right width for a
      weathershield-undercover for my Hemmessey hammock (Backpacker asym). I
      folded over about an inch on each end and threaded string through,
      poking the string through both layers about once every inch or so. It
      was hard work, either my needle was dull or tyvek really is tough. The
      purpose is to use the string to cinch up the tyvek in the same way a JRB
      nest cinches up. Both tyvek and nest can hang from the same
      micro-biners. The idea was to supply outside protection for the nest
      and hammock bottom. It is also to serve as a ground cloth for times I
      need to go to ground.

      So far I've not needed to use it. 1) So far it's not been cold enough
      to need the extra layer. 2) I can't figure out how to get in and out of
      the hammock with it. I do not find the nest and tyvek (or even nest
      alone) slide back in place after I'm in the hammock. My best solution
      is to put the tyvek drawstrings in the middle and cinch it up
      garlington-taco style and uncinch it when I want to get out.

      For breathability, I hear tyvek has a right and a wrong side, but can't
      remember which: logo side or non-logo side. For aesthetics, I want the
      logo side in (up).

      CL
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
        Scott,

        It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
        protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
        visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
        diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
        flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
        less stakes and guylines.

        There is obviously a place for both maximum protection style tarps and
        minimum protection and middle protection tarps. The colder the
        weather the more important protection from the wind becomes, so in one
        sense you could make it a warm weather versus cold weather argument.
        On long trips without any other shelter you might appreciate more
        coverage when you have to live under a tarp in prolonged rains for
        cooking, changing clothes, etc. Rectangular tarps also provide much
        better rain and splash protection if you want to sleep on the ground
        with a tarp.

        A rectangular tarp with center tie-outs along the sides can be rigged
        similar to a diamond shaped tarp with one end or both ends partially
        closed off for wind protection. I've done that many times when I have
        been in exposed sites and the wind picked up on me. When I set up in a
        conventional A-frame, I had to get up and reposition two stakes to
        block off the wind coming at me from one end of the tarp; if I
        suspected the wind might come from that direction I just set my tarp
        up that way. This is a link to some photos of how I did this a month
        or so ago when I was expecting wind and snow at an exposed site-
        http://tinyurl.com/ys4hnb . You can't do that with diamond shaped or
        hex shaped tarps because that portion of the tarp simply isn't
        there... you have to rely on something else like WeatherShields or
        SuperShelters or some other scheme to make up for not having enough
        tarp to do the job. With that tarp, I can hang it high and wide to
        have an excellent view and ample rain protection from most rains or
        hang it low and tight to block off most winds and shed snow. You do
        want a steeper pitch to shed snow, it doesn't roll off like water. It
        has to slide off and if the pitch isn't steep enough it will get heavy
        enough to cause a tarp to droop and collect enough to cause a major
        problem with the weight of the snow.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering making a
        large
        > tarp for a few reasons.
        >
        > 1) for the experience
        > 2) to protect my underquilt
        > 3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather
        >
        > I currently have an HH backpacker light with the small asym tarp. I
        like
        > the tarp because it is small and light weight. I am planning on
        switching
        > from the HH super shelter to a JRB Nest as an underquilt. I already
        own a
        > Nest and love it. It may help shave a little weight too.
        >
        > I really like to keep things light and am wondering if I could get
        away with
        > using something like the Hennessey Weather Shield Bottom, instead of
        making,
        > or purchasing a larger tarp to protect my underquilt. I have never
        used an
        > underquilt yet so I am not really sure what to expect.
        >
        > Hmmm, maybe there is some way I could convert my HH supershelter to
        > something like the HH Weather Shield Bottom.
        >
        > Any questions, comments, concerns and advice is greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Scott
        > www.AntiFuel.com
        >
        > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
          Scott,
          The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
          is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
          it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
          hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
          Nest as a weathershield.

          Stoikurt

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
            "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote: Scott,
            The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
            is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
            it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
            hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
            Nest as a weathershield.

            Stoikurt

            also, the weather shield is water proof (non-breathable) so if you use it on the outside of the nest, you will soon have a damp/wet nest from condensation. ...tim

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
              dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?
              and that's not t-back brian is it? ..tim

              Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Scott,

              .

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                Tim,

                That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
                that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
                at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
                corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
                playing that optical illusion game on you. <grin>

                Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
                in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
                enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
                to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
                on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
                link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

                Dave

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                  ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
                  i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
                  PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
                  Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007

                    > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
                    is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
                    i like that set-up.
                    > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
                    picture storage i've used. ...tim
                    > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

                    Tim,

                    It is this one
                    http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
                    one of its brothers.

                    Dave
                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

                      --
                      Scott
                      www.AntiFuel.com

                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Thanks for all the great info!

                        I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
                        the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
                        and I have already made one for someone else.

                        Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

                        Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
                        recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

                        --
                        Scott
                        www.AntiFuel.com

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                            some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                            but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                                Dave,

                                The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                                effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                                configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                                enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 9, 2007
                                  Scott,

                                  It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                                  side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                                  room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                                  the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                                  to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                                  on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                                  walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                                  block the wind at all.

                                  Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                                  some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                                  hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                                  time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                                  to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                                  difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                                  structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                                  light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                                  minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                                  time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                                  backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                                  the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                                  was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                                  negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                                  the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                                  just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                                  conditions we expect.

                                  Dave

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                  > Dave,
                                  >
                                  > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                                  > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                                  > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                                  > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                                  >
                                  > Scott
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                                  > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                                  > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                                  > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                                  > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                                  > > less stakes and guylines.

                                • Sandy Kramer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                    Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                                    sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                                    clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                                    > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                                    leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                                    the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                                    ground. ...> Dave

                                  • Sandy Kramer
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                      search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                        Dave,

                                        I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                        in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                        a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                        going too far?

                                        Scott

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                          http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                                          Dave

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                            Scott,

                                            I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                            is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                            didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                            on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                            quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                            little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                            always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                            see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                            sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                            ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                            such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                            dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                            call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                            be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                            just didn't work well for me.

                                            I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                            shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                            discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                            you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                            life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                            rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                            times.

                                            Dave

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                            > Dave,
                                            >
                                            > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                            > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                            > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                            > going too far?
                                            >
                                            > Scott

                                          • Sandy Kramer
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                              aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                              a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                              ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                              > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                              >
                                              > Dave
                                              >
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                              > >
                                              > > sandy in miami > >

                                            • Sandy Kramer
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                                http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                                I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                                hammock lying on the ground!!

                                                <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                                > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                                as
                                                > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                                >
                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                > >
                                                > > Dave
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                                <sandykayak@>
                                                > > wrote:
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > sandy in miami > >

                                              • Thomas Vickers
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                  Yes.
                                                  One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                                  using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                                  the trail in a rainstorm

                                                  Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                                  TV
                                                • Carey Parks
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                    Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                                    aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                                    a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                    ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                                    > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                    >
                                                    > Dave
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > sandy in miami > >

                                                  • C C Wayah
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                      > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                                      > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                                      > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                                      > too far?

                                                      There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                                      Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                                      Rogene
                                                    • Jack Rowe
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                        In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                                        Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                                        There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.