Re: [Hammock Camping] Studies

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      amendment2@... wrote:
      > Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock
      camping?
      > Short or long term?

      Nope, I'm monitoring the effects of one night's camping on Cryptomeria
      sp. The tree-huggers compacted the bark, which tends to be spongy,
      especially in the rain which was when I camped there. Half a year
      later, it is still easy to see where the tree-huggers had gripped the
      tree. Whether this damaged the tree, I don't know. I doubt most people
      would notice the effect. Probably the biggest effect was scraping moss
      off the tree, leaving a lighter-colored ring.

      Every time I return to the site, I snap a fresh set of pictures.

      So, the type of tree probably does matter. I doubt shag-bark hickories
      are good hammock trees...

      CL
    • John and Jessica
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
        I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
        I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
        ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
        that sort of stuff.

        There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
        anything specifically about hammocks.

        -John
        www.SourcetoSea.net

        --
        Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
        expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
          Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
          Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
          Thanks,
          Dave Fox

          In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
          source2sea@... writes:

          I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
          I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
          ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
          that sort of stuff.

          There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
          anything specifically about hammocks.

          -John
          www.SourcetoSea.www

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
            amendment2@... wrote:
            > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
            > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

            Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
            and climate?

            I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
            Grand Canyon NP.
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
              The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
              No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

              Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
              info your looking for.

              Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
              Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
              Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
              Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

              The link to more of their resources is:
              http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

              If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
              visiting: http://www.lnt.org

              I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
              further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
              Good Luck!

              PS:
              I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
              something for you.

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

            • amendment2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
                recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
                More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
                contact for current information.