weather shield vs. larger tarp

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3 10:23 PM
      I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering making a large
      tarp for a few reasons.

      1) for the experience
      2) to protect my underquilt
      3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather

      I currently have an HH backpacker light with the small asym tarp. I like
      the tarp because it is small and light weight. I am planning on switching
      from the HH super shelter to a JRB Nest as an underquilt. I already own a
      Nest and love it. It may help shave a little weight too.

      I really like to keep things light and am wondering if I could get away with
      using something like the Hennessey Weather Shield Bottom, instead of making,
      or purchasing a larger tarp to protect my underquilt. I have never used an
      underquilt yet so I am not really sure what to expect.

      Hmmm, maybe there is some way I could convert my HH supershelter to
      something like the HH Weather Shield Bottom.

      Any questions, comments, concerns and advice is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4 12:51 AM
        Scott wrote:
        > I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering
        > making a large tarp for a few reasons.
        >
        > 1) for the experience
        > 2) to protect my underquilt
        > 3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather

        I bought the tyvek for a double-rainbow ground cloth (US$10.00). I
        washed in a washing machine (cold water, no soap) the way Tarptent.com
        recommends.

        This piece of tyvek is the just right width for a
        weathershield-undercover for my Hemmessey hammock (Backpacker asym). I
        folded over about an inch on each end and threaded string through,
        poking the string through both layers about once every inch or so. It
        was hard work, either my needle was dull or tyvek really is tough. The
        purpose is to use the string to cinch up the tyvek in the same way a JRB
        nest cinches up. Both tyvek and nest can hang from the same
        micro-biners. The idea was to supply outside protection for the nest
        and hammock bottom. It is also to serve as a ground cloth for times I
        need to go to ground.

        So far I've not needed to use it. 1) So far it's not been cold enough
        to need the extra layer. 2) I can't figure out how to get in and out of
        the hammock with it. I do not find the nest and tyvek (or even nest
        alone) slide back in place after I'm in the hammock. My best solution
        is to put the tyvek drawstrings in the middle and cinch it up
        garlington-taco style and uncinch it when I want to get out.

        For breathability, I hear tyvek has a right and a wrong side, but can't
        remember which: logo side or non-logo side. For aesthetics, I want the
        logo side in (up).

        CL
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4 5:28 AM
          Scott,

          It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
          protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
          visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
          diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
          flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
          less stakes and guylines.

          There is obviously a place for both maximum protection style tarps and
          minimum protection and middle protection tarps. The colder the
          weather the more important protection from the wind becomes, so in one
          sense you could make it a warm weather versus cold weather argument.
          On long trips without any other shelter you might appreciate more
          coverage when you have to live under a tarp in prolonged rains for
          cooking, changing clothes, etc. Rectangular tarps also provide much
          better rain and splash protection if you want to sleep on the ground
          with a tarp.

          A rectangular tarp with center tie-outs along the sides can be rigged
          similar to a diamond shaped tarp with one end or both ends partially
          closed off for wind protection. I've done that many times when I have
          been in exposed sites and the wind picked up on me. When I set up in a
          conventional A-frame, I had to get up and reposition two stakes to
          block off the wind coming at me from one end of the tarp; if I
          suspected the wind might come from that direction I just set my tarp
          up that way. This is a link to some photos of how I did this a month
          or so ago when I was expecting wind and snow at an exposed site-
          http://tinyurl.com/ys4hnb . You can't do that with diamond shaped or
          hex shaped tarps because that portion of the tarp simply isn't
          there... you have to rely on something else like WeatherShields or
          SuperShelters or some other scheme to make up for not having enough
          tarp to do the job. With that tarp, I can hang it high and wide to
          have an excellent view and ample rain protection from most rains or
          hang it low and tight to block off most winds and shed snow. You do
          want a steeper pitch to shed snow, it doesn't roll off like water. It
          has to slide off and if the pitch isn't steep enough it will get heavy
          enough to cause a tarp to droop and collect enough to cause a major
          problem with the weight of the snow.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for advice, or experiences. I am considering making a
          large
          > tarp for a few reasons.
          >
          > 1) for the experience
          > 2) to protect my underquilt
          > 3) protect from wind, rain, bad weather
          >
          > I currently have an HH backpacker light with the small asym tarp. I
          like
          > the tarp because it is small and light weight. I am planning on
          switching
          > from the HH super shelter to a JRB Nest as an underquilt. I already
          own a
          > Nest and love it. It may help shave a little weight too.
          >
          > I really like to keep things light and am wondering if I could get
          away with
          > using something like the Hennessey Weather Shield Bottom, instead of
          making,
          > or purchasing a larger tarp to protect my underquilt. I have never
          used an
          > underquilt yet so I am not really sure what to expect.
          >
          > Hmmm, maybe there is some way I could convert my HH supershelter to
          > something like the HH Weather Shield Bottom.
          >
          > Any questions, comments, concerns and advice is greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks.
          >
          > --
          > Scott
          > www.AntiFuel.com
          >
          > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

        • Stuhr, Tim
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4 5:31 AM
            Scott,
            The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
            is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
            it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
            hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
            Nest as a weathershield.

            Stoikurt

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4 6:12 AM
              "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote: Scott,
              The problem with using the HH SuperShelter Undercover as a weathershield
              is that it's not big enough to cover the JRB Nest without compressing
              it. It has been used by some (myself included) between the Nest and the
              hammock as a windbreak but that won't do any good for protecting the
              Nest as a weathershield.

              Stoikurt

              also, the weather shield is water proof (non-breathable) so if you use it on the outside of the nest, you will soon have a damp/wet nest from condensation. ...tim

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4 6:17 AM
                dave, is that tarp that is closed on the end just a rectangular tarp w/ extra tie outs a foot or so in from the corners?
                and that's not t-back brian is it? ..tim

                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Scott,

                .

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4 6:30 AM
                  Tim,

                  That is a different Brian, the one that runs the GeorgiaHikes web site
                  that I frequent. That is the same tarp you have seen me use for years
                  at Hot Springs. It has three tie outs on each side-- one at each
                  corner and one along the side at the center. The angle of the photo is
                  playing that optical illusion game on you. <grin>

                  Brian had used a heater in the loft of the shelter, had his camera out
                  in the morning and took a few other photos of my setup. It was cold
                  enough that I didn't want to mess with my camera... I would have had
                  to warm it up before it would have even worked. Anyway he posted them
                  on Picasa, a free site you have to sign in to see that is at this
                  link: http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.tant .

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4 6:47 AM
                    ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp? i like that set-up.
                    i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best picture storage i've used. ...tim
                    PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!
                    Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4 7:43 AM

                      > ok, i looked at the picture again & i see that the extra tie out
                      is mid way on the side. can you tell me again the size of that tarp?
                      i like that set-up.
                      > i started using picasa a while back & it's by far the best
                      picture storage i've used. ...tim
                      > PS... getting close to SEHHA at hot springs time!!!

                      Tim,

                      It is this one
                      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/1da8 or
                      one of its brothers.

                      Dave
                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4 5:50 PM
                        Great photos!!! Where were the photos of the goats taken?

                        --
                        Scott
                        www.AntiFuel.com

                      • Scott
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4 6:04 PM
                          Thanks for all the great info!

                          I think I will go with a square tarp and skip the weather shield. I think
                          the Speer Tarp is the one I will make because it is very straight forward,
                          and I have already made one for someone else.

                          Now to find some 1.1oz camo rip stop........

                          Anyone know of a good website to learn how to sew the seems
                          recommended when sewing the Speer tarp?

                          --
                          Scott
                          www.AntiFuel.com

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 4 7:05 PM
                              some how that simple concept of a single tie out in the middle has slipped me.
                              but i like it! simple but effective. and light weight too. ...tim

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 9 4:09 PM
                                  Dave,

                                  The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                                  effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                                  configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                                  enough to create a risk of cold spots.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 9 6:08 PM
                                    Scott,

                                    It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
                                    side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
                                    room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
                                    the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
                                    to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
                                    on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
                                    walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
                                    block the wind at all.

                                    Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
                                    some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
                                    hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
                                    time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
                                    to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
                                    difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
                                    structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
                                    light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
                                    minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
                                    time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
                                    backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
                                    the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
                                    was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
                                    negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
                                    the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
                                    just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
                                    conditions we expect.

                                    Dave

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                    > Dave,
                                    >
                                    > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
                                    > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
                                    > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
                                    > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
                                    >
                                    > Scott
                                    >
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
                                    > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
                                    > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
                                    > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
                                    > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
                                    > > less stakes and guylines.

                                  • Sandy Kramer
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10 12:13 PM
                                      Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?

                                      sandy in miami who hopes that the yahoo grinch will not continue to
                                      clone this message for the rest of the day ;(

                                      > ...I always felt that on backpacking trips the steep slopes on the
                                      leeward side in coves was the best hammock sites in cold weather and
                                      the hammock tarptent I made was more difficult to setup on steep sloped
                                      ground. ...> Dave

                                    • Sandy Kramer
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 10 12:14 PM
                                        search "felled seams" which is what Ray Jardine recommends

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 10 12:15 PM
                                          Dave,

                                          I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                          in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                          a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                          going too far?

                                          Scott

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 10 1:40 PM
                                            http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.

                                            Dave

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 10 2:10 PM
                                              Scott,

                                              I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
                                              is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
                                              didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
                                              on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
                                              quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
                                              little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
                                              always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
                                              see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
                                              sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
                                              ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
                                              such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
                                              dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
                                              call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
                                              be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
                                              just didn't work well for me.

                                              I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
                                              shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
                                              discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
                                              you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
                                              life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
                                              rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
                                              times.

                                              Dave

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                                              > Dave,
                                              >
                                              > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                              > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                              > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
                                              > going too far?
                                              >
                                              > Scott

                                            • Sandy Kramer
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11 1:59 PM
                                                aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                                a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                                > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                >
                                                > Dave
                                                >
                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                > >
                                                > > sandy in miami > >

                                              • Sandy Kramer
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 11 2:04 PM
                                                  i hate it when a typo slips by: "their hammock" !!

                                                  http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.html

                                                  I don't know how the bottom entry HH folks get in and out with the
                                                  hammock lying on the ground!!

                                                  <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                                  > aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock
                                                  as
                                                  > a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                  > ever set up there hammock on the ground?
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Dave
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
                                                  <sandykayak@>
                                                  > > wrote:
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > sandy in miami > >

                                                • Thomas Vickers
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 11 2:05 PM
                                                    Yes.
                                                    One thing I made sure I learned how to do was set up my HH as a tent
                                                    using my hiking poles and some stakes. Better to learn at home than on
                                                    the trail in a rainstorm

                                                    Not easy, not comfortable, but it works in a pinch.

                                                    TV
                                                  • Carey Parks
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 11 2:07 PM
                                                      Yep - Not allowed to tie ANYTHING to the trees in Florida state parks.

                                                      aaaahhhhh..now I remember this pics. i thought it was a "hammock as
                                                      a tent" thingee. i've seen pics on the HH site. has anyone here
                                                      ever set up there hammock on the ground?

                                                      > http://tinyurl.com/28juru should get you there.
                                                      >
                                                      > Dave
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@>
                                                      > wrote:
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Dave, do you have a photo of your tarptent?
                                                      > >
                                                      > > sandy in miami > >

                                                    • C C Wayah
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 11 3:17 PM
                                                        > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
                                                        > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
                                                        > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that going
                                                        > too far?

                                                        There's one really nice desing of a tent/poncho form Six Moon designs.
                                                        Looked really nifty at the 2006 gathering.

                                                        Rogene
                                                      • Jack Rowe
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 12 9:15 AM
                                                          In 'How to make your own lightweight camping and hiking gear, by Vick Hines, there are patterns for a poncho/tent (plus many other goodies)...with a poncho used as tarp even for ground camping, you want them longer than for ideal use as a poncho, on the one I made I left the extra material in back (useful for covering pack in rain) and use vertical pull cords along bottom 30" to bring the back up to a workable height when just walking...also have waist cords to form more of a 'jacket' when it's windy/rainy, also velcro at neck for wearing poncho as a cape (left folded in half) when wind/rain are right (at back/sides and not too blustery)... ventilation when used as cape is MUCH better than with either a full poncho or rain suit, one of the reasons I like the poncho instead of a suit -- almost always wear it as a cape, if it gets too rainy I usually stop and set up camp anyway.

                                                          Using poncho as tarp necessitates the umbrella or other supplemental light rain protection, as Ed says there's only so long you can sit quietly under a tarp in the rain, nature calls notwithstanding. At 102" length the poncho has to sit diagonally and very close to the hammock in windy rain, though my hammock is only slightly over 8 feet long to tie-outs (at 5'10" a little close but light). To be honest if I'm expecting hard rain I usually set up on the ground, more loafing space when stuck under cover for many hours.

                                                          There's nothing so nice as an extra tarp for living space, and a place to lean back, when you're stuck in the rain. A hammock can be hung w/ one end vertical-ish to use as a sling chair for reading, but this is of little use in the rain since hard to cover effectively.