Re: [Hammock Camping] asym tarp

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 10:08 PM
      Nice site, thanks.

      After doing a little research is seems to cost about the same to buy a tarp,
      or make your own. I cannot see paying $100+ for materials when I can buy a
      pre-made Mac tarp for $115. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places to buy
      materials. Any suggestions?

      Previously someone suggested Walmart, but the one in my area doesn't seem to
      carry anything. I tried G Street Fabrics near my place, but they don't have
      any labels on the rip-stop nylon so I don't know if it is 1.1, or 1.9, and
      either do the employees.

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 5:56 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > Nice site, thanks.
        >
        > After doing a little research is seems to cost about the same to buy a
        tarp,
        > or make your own. I cannot see paying $100+ for materials when I can
        buy a
        > pre-made Mac tarp for $115. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places
        to buy
        > materials. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Previously someone suggested Walmart, but the one in my area doesn't
        seem to
        > carry anything. I tried G Street Fabrics near my place, but they don't
        have
        > any labels on the rip-stop nylon so I don't know if it is 1.1, or 1.9,
        and
        > either do the employees.
        >
        > --
        > Scott
        > www.AntiFuel.com
        >
        > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

        You can order from Ed! There are materials for order at Ed Speer's
        website. <http://speerhammocks.com/> You can buy 1.9 oz. Ripstop
        Nylon, Silnylon, Straps, Noseeum, the works. Good prices.

        I'm not associated with Ed in any way, but have ordered materials from
        his site with good results.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4 6:08 AM
          ed speer has silnylon for $4.00 per yard. if you got 4 yards for each side (a total of 8 yards) the cost of the silnylon would be $32.00 + S & H.
          i like the guy line ed sells as good as any too.
          so after thread & a tube of silicon for seam sealing, i would think well under $50.00 if you wanted to go that route. ...tim