Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Studies

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3 9:30 PM
      Bring the botany book to court with you..........lol

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4 12:22 AM
        amendment2@... wrote:
        > Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock
        camping?
        > Short or long term?

        Nope, I'm monitoring the effects of one night's camping on Cryptomeria
        sp. The tree-huggers compacted the bark, which tends to be spongy,
        especially in the rain which was when I camped there. Half a year
        later, it is still easy to see where the tree-huggers had gripped the
        tree. Whether this damaged the tree, I don't know. I doubt most people
        would notice the effect. Probably the biggest effect was scraping moss
        off the tree, leaving a lighter-colored ring.

        Every time I return to the site, I snap a fresh set of pictures.

        So, the type of tree probably does matter. I doubt shag-bark hickories
        are good hammock trees...

        CL
      • John and Jessica
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4 12:08 PM
          I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
          I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
          ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
          that sort of stuff.

          There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
          anything specifically about hammocks.

          -John
          www.SourcetoSea.net

          --
          Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
          expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4 12:50 PM
            Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
            Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
            Thanks,
            Dave Fox

            In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
            source2sea@... writes:

            I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
            I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
            ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
            that sort of stuff.

            There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
            anything specifically about hammocks.

            -John
            www.SourcetoSea.www

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4 7:27 PM
              amendment2@... wrote:
              > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
              > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

              Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
              and climate?

              I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
              Grand Canyon NP.
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4 8:02 PM
                The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
                No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

                Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
                info your looking for.

                Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
                Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
                Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
                Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

                The link to more of their resources is:
                http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

                If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
                visiting: http://www.lnt.org

                I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
                further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
                Good Luck!

                PS:
                I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
                something for you.

                --
                Scott
                www.AntiFuel.com

              • amendment2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5 4:31 AM
                  Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
                  recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
                  More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
                  contact for current information.