Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Studies

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
      Yes, I agree. Generally we hammock owners feel our way is less damaging than
      overused tentsites. I am trying to determine whether there is any basis in
      the idea though. I wonder how to even set up an experiment like that..

    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        Style determines impact. Wearing trail runners rather than boots
        reduces impact. When I have dinner next to a stream then hike an hour
        to camp I only have to hang the hammock and bear bag. I typically leave
        camp the next morning and hike to warm up before breakfast. My style
        has close to ZERO impact.

        I have camped with boy scouts that can trash a pristine area in a single
        night.

        The shelter part of camping is low impact whether tent or hammock.

        Dick Matthews

        mendment2@... wrote:

        > Yes, I agree. Generally we hammock owners feel our way is less
        > damaging than
        > overused tentsites. I am trying to determine whether there is any
        > basis in
        > the idea though. I wonder how to even set up an experiment like that..

      • mrbyer
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
          If the law states you cannot tie to a tree and the Palm is a grass not
          a tree does that mean you can tie to a palm? ;)

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...> wrote:

          > Here in Florida and I believe at least one other state prohibits
          tying or
          > nailing anything to their trees. The US Forrest Service has no
          problem with
          > it in Florida. I feel that the ban on tying anything to trees came
          from the
          > use of thin line for clothes lines and tarp hanging. A tarp in the wind
          > makes a good motor for a line saw. Florida State Parks get a lot of use.
          > This ban on tying anything to the trees is the ONLY rule pointed out
          to me
          > out of about ten when we registered for campsite. They are serious
          about it.

          > I have heard that rangers are impressed when you take the time to
          show them
          > how the wide webbing spreads the load and minimizes impact to the
          tree. But
          > rules are rules and you still have to pitch that hammock like a tarp
          tent.

          > By the way, a palm is a grass and not a tree. Maybe that's related.
          >
          > Also, when the test site is a park site, you are sleeping on sand
          anyway, so
          > nothing is harmed beyond the original development. The trees on the
          other
          > hand are needed to shade that sand.
          >
          > In a back country situation the hammock might win the impact
          contest, but
          > that's if you don't spread a ground cloth under it, and live on that
          like it
          > were a tent.

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
            Very good question!

            If the law states you cannot tie to a tree and the Palm is a grass not
            a tree does that mean you can tie to a palm? ;)

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...> wrote:

            > Here in Florida and I believe at least one other state prohibits
            tying or
            > nailing anything to their trees. The US Forrest Service has no
            problem with
            > it in Florida. I feel that the ban on tying anything to trees came
            from the
            > use of thin line for clothes lines and tarp hanging. A tarp in the wind
            > makes a good motor for a line saw. Florida State Parks get a lot of use.
            > This ban on tying anything to the trees is the ONLY rule pointed out
            to me
            > out of about ten when we registered for campsite. They are serious
            about it.

            > I have heard that rangers are impressed when you take the time to
            show them
            > how the wide webbing spreads the load and minimizes impact to the
            tree. But
            > rules are rules and you still have to pitch that hammock like a tarp
            tent.

            > By the way, a palm is a grass and not a tree. Maybe that's related.
            >
            > Also, when the test site is a park site, you are sleeping on sand
            anyway, so
            > nothing is harmed beyond the original development. The trees on the
            other
            > hand are needed to shade that sand.
            >
            > In a back country situation the hammock might win the impact
            contest, but
            > that's if you don't spread a ground cloth under it, and live on that
            like it
            > were a tent.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
              Bring the botany book to court with you..........lol

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                amendment2@... wrote:
                > Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock
                camping?
                > Short or long term?

                Nope, I'm monitoring the effects of one night's camping on Cryptomeria
                sp. The tree-huggers compacted the bark, which tends to be spongy,
                especially in the rain which was when I camped there. Half a year
                later, it is still easy to see where the tree-huggers had gripped the
                tree. Whether this damaged the tree, I don't know. I doubt most people
                would notice the effect. Probably the biggest effect was scraping moss
                off the tree, leaving a lighter-colored ring.

                Every time I return to the site, I snap a fresh set of pictures.

                So, the type of tree probably does matter. I doubt shag-bark hickories
                are good hammock trees...

                CL
              • John and Jessica
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                  I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
                  I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
                  ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
                  that sort of stuff.

                  There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
                  anything specifically about hammocks.

                  -John
                  www.SourcetoSea.net

                  --
                  Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
                  expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
                    Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
                    Thanks,
                    Dave Fox

                    In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    source2sea@... writes:

                    I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
                    I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
                    ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
                    that sort of stuff.

                    There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
                    anything specifically about hammocks.

                    -John
                    www.SourcetoSea.www

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                      amendment2@... wrote:
                      > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
                      > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

                      Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
                      and climate?

                      I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
                      Grand Canyon NP.
                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                        The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
                        No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

                        Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
                        info your looking for.

                        Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
                        Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
                        Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
                        Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

                        The link to more of their resources is:
                        http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

                        If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
                        visiting: http://www.lnt.org

                        I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
                        further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
                        Good Luck!

                        PS:
                        I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
                        something for you.

                        --
                        Scott
                        www.AntiFuel.com

                      • amendment2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                          Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
                          recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
                          More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
                          contact for current information.