Studies

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
      Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock camping?
      Short or long term?
      Thanks

    • hacktorious
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        I am not aware of an studies for hammocks, but I brought this topic up
        during a hike leadership training course I attended last year. The
        only thing the instructor could say was that in his opinion it was far
        less damaging than using a tent. However, some parks do not allow
        hammocks.

        Extensive studies have gone into tents and trails. I forgot the exact
        details, but a typical tent spot, which is used many times in one
        season can take 10-15 years to recover to it's original state.

        In my personal opinion, I agree with the instructor.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amendment2@... wrote:

        > Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock
        camping?
        > Short or long term?
        > Thanks

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
          Here in Florida and I believe at least one other state prohibits tying or
          nailing anything to their trees. The US Forrest Service has no problem with
          it in Florida. I feel that the ban on tying anything to trees came from the
          use of thin line for clothes lines and tarp hanging. A tarp in the wind
          makes a good motor for a line saw. Florida State Parks get a lot of use.
          This ban on tying anything to the trees is the ONLY rule pointed out to me
          out of about ten when we registered for campsite. They are serious about it.

          I have heard that rangers are impressed when you take the time to show them
          how the wide webbing spreads the load and minimizes impact to the tree. But
          rules are rules and you still have to pitch that hammock like a tarp tent.

          By the way, a palm is a grass and not a tree. Maybe that's related.

          Also, when the test site is a park site, you are sleeping on sand anyway, so
          nothing is harmed beyond the original development. The trees on the other
          hand are needed to shade that sand.

          In a back country situation the hammock might win the impact contest, but
          that's if you don't spread a ground cloth under it, and live on that like it
          were a tent.

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
            Yes, I agree. Generally we hammock owners feel our way is less damaging than
            overused tentsites. I am trying to determine whether there is any basis in
            the idea though. I wonder how to even set up an experiment like that..

          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
              Style determines impact. Wearing trail runners rather than boots
              reduces impact. When I have dinner next to a stream then hike an hour
              to camp I only have to hang the hammock and bear bag. I typically leave
              camp the next morning and hike to warm up before breakfast. My style
              has close to ZERO impact.

              I have camped with boy scouts that can trash a pristine area in a single
              night.

              The shelter part of camping is low impact whether tent or hammock.

              Dick Matthews

              mendment2@... wrote:

              > Yes, I agree. Generally we hammock owners feel our way is less
              > damaging than
              > overused tentsites. I am trying to determine whether there is any
              > basis in
              > the idea though. I wonder how to even set up an experiment like that..

            • mrbyer
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                If the law states you cannot tie to a tree and the Palm is a grass not
                a tree does that mean you can tie to a palm? ;)

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...> wrote:

                > Here in Florida and I believe at least one other state prohibits
                tying or
                > nailing anything to their trees. The US Forrest Service has no
                problem with
                > it in Florida. I feel that the ban on tying anything to trees came
                from the
                > use of thin line for clothes lines and tarp hanging. A tarp in the wind
                > makes a good motor for a line saw. Florida State Parks get a lot of use.
                > This ban on tying anything to the trees is the ONLY rule pointed out
                to me
                > out of about ten when we registered for campsite. They are serious
                about it.

                > I have heard that rangers are impressed when you take the time to
                show them
                > how the wide webbing spreads the load and minimizes impact to the
                tree. But
                > rules are rules and you still have to pitch that hammock like a tarp
                tent.

                > By the way, a palm is a grass and not a tree. Maybe that's related.
                >
                > Also, when the test site is a park site, you are sleeping on sand
                anyway, so
                > nothing is harmed beyond the original development. The trees on the
                other
                > hand are needed to shade that sand.
                >
                > In a back country situation the hammock might win the impact
                contest, but
                > that's if you don't spread a ground cloth under it, and live on that
                like it
                > were a tent.

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Very good question!

                  If the law states you cannot tie to a tree and the Palm is a grass not
                  a tree does that mean you can tie to a palm? ;)

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...> wrote:

                  > Here in Florida and I believe at least one other state prohibits
                  tying or
                  > nailing anything to their trees. The US Forrest Service has no
                  problem with
                  > it in Florida. I feel that the ban on tying anything to trees came
                  from the
                  > use of thin line for clothes lines and tarp hanging. A tarp in the wind
                  > makes a good motor for a line saw. Florida State Parks get a lot of use.
                  > This ban on tying anything to the trees is the ONLY rule pointed out
                  to me
                  > out of about ten when we registered for campsite. They are serious
                  about it.

                  > I have heard that rangers are impressed when you take the time to
                  show them
                  > how the wide webbing spreads the load and minimizes impact to the
                  tree. But
                  > rules are rules and you still have to pitch that hammock like a tarp
                  tent.

                  > By the way, a palm is a grass and not a tree. Maybe that's related.
                  >
                  > Also, when the test site is a park site, you are sleeping on sand
                  anyway, so
                  > nothing is harmed beyond the original development. The trees on the
                  other
                  > hand are needed to shade that sand.
                  >
                  > In a back country situation the hammock might win the impact
                  contest, but
                  > that's if you don't spread a ground cloth under it, and live on that
                  like it
                  > were a tent.

                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Bring the botany book to court with you..........lol

                    --
                    Scott
                    www.AntiFuel.com

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                      amendment2@... wrote:
                      > Does anyone know of any studies done on tree damage from hammock
                      camping?
                      > Short or long term?

                      Nope, I'm monitoring the effects of one night's camping on Cryptomeria
                      sp. The tree-huggers compacted the bark, which tends to be spongy,
                      especially in the rain which was when I camped there. Half a year
                      later, it is still easy to see where the tree-huggers had gripped the
                      tree. Whether this damaged the tree, I don't know. I doubt most people
                      would notice the effect. Probably the biggest effect was scraping moss
                      off the tree, leaving a lighter-colored ring.

                      Every time I return to the site, I snap a fresh set of pictures.

                      So, the type of tree probably does matter. I doubt shag-bark hickories
                      are good hammock trees...

                      CL
                    • John and Jessica
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                        I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
                        I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
                        ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
                        that sort of stuff.

                        There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
                        anything specifically about hammocks.

                        -John
                        www.SourcetoSea.net

                        --
                        Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
                        expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
                          Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.
                          Thanks,
                          Dave Fox

                          In a message dated 4/4/2007 2:38:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          source2sea@... writes:

                          I'll poke through some of my stuff back at the office. We're (ladyfriend and
                          I) are working on PhD's in Parks and Rec. She deal more with recreation
                          ecology than I do though. I deal more with trail systems, greenways, and
                          that sort of stuff.

                          There is scads of info about tent and campsite impacts, but I don't remember
                          anything specifically about hammocks.

                          -John
                          www.SourcetoSea.www

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                            amendment2@... wrote:
                            > Can you tell me the recovery time from frequently used tent campsites?
                            > Please cite studies, not anecdotal evidence.

                            Won't recovery time depend on use (amount and type), habitat, substrate,
                            and climate?

                            I'd expect recover times in the GSMNP to be different from those in
                            Grand Canyon NP.
                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
                              The leadership course I took, which I previously mentioned, was taught by Leave
                              No Trace <http://www.lnt.org/main.html>.

                              Here are some articles I dug up from their website, which may contain the
                              info your looking for.

                              Recreation Impacts and Management in Wilderness: A State-of-Knowledge
                              Review<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/SOKWildernesspap.pdf>
                              Recreation Ecology Research Findings - Implications for Wilderness and Park
                              Managers<http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/documents/RecEcolResFindings.pdf>

                              The link to more of their resources is:
                              http://www.lnt.org/training/resources/index.html

                              If you cannot what your looking for you can browse their main website by
                              visiting: http://www.lnt.org

                              I am sure you can find something there. You can also email them and ask any
                              further questions you might have. They are more then willing to help.
                              Good Luck!

                              PS:
                              I am digging through my paperwork from the course in hopes I might find
                              something for you.

                              --
                              Scott
                              www.AntiFuel.com

                            • amendment2@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                                Thanks, I already have found in the studies you cited, that tent camping
                                recovery depending on the resiliancy of the site can take from 3 to 30 years.
                                More importantly, in the report bibliographies, I have more names of people to
                                contact for current information.