Quilt Kit Help

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2007
      I figured this was the best forum to turn too, for this question, because
      many of you are very crafty and make your own gear. Hopefully it isn't too
      far off topic.

      I previously purchased a Padgett quilt
      kit<http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-down-quilt/>from
      Thru-Hiker.com so I can use my JRB Nest as an underquilt to replace my HH
      super-shelter. I am a newbie to sewing and I finally have the confidence of
      putting the hammock together. However, I am having a problem understanding
      the instructions. I am confused on steps 3 and 4.

      Step three is to sew the baffles to the top piece of fabric across the
      longer side of the netting (baffle). I am confused about sewing the baffle
      to the second piece of fabric (bottom). Should I actually be sewing the two
      (top and bottom) pieces of fabric together with the netting sandwiched
      between them? Thanks.

      Not that I think of it I am also confused on the foot-box thing. I am going
      to reread the instructions to see if I can figure it out.

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

    • Eric Sandberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 5 9:34 PM
        You'll want to sew one side of the baffle to the top piece and the
        other side to the bottom piece. So the netting (baffle) spans the
        two pieces of fabric, sort of a bridge between them. The idea is to
        make a series of rectangular tubes that you'll put the down into.

        Let's see if this helps

        Toppiecetoppiecetoppiecetoppiecetoppiece
        n n n n n
        e e e e e
        t t t t t
        t t t t t
        i i i i i
        n n n n n
        g g g g g
        Bottompiecebottompiecebottomepiecebottompiece

        Did I succeed in confusing you further?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > I figured this was the best forum to turn too, for this question,
        because
        > many of you are very crafty and make your own gear. Hopefully it
        isn't too
        > far off topic.
        >
        > I previously purchased a Padgett quilt
        > kit<http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-down-quilt/>from
        > Thru-Hiker.com so I can use my JRB Nest as an underquilt to replace
        my HH
        > super-shelter. I am a newbie to sewing and I finally have the
        confidence of
        > putting the hammock together. However, I am having a problem
        understanding
        > the instructions. I am confused on steps 3 and 4.
        >
        > Step three is to sew the baffles to the top piece of fabric across
        the
        > longer side of the netting (baffle). I am confused about sewing
        the baffle
        > to the second piece of fabric (bottom). Should I actually be
        sewing the two
        > (top and bottom) pieces of fabric together with the netting
        sandwiched
        > between them? Thanks.
        >
        > Not that I think of it I am also confused on the foot-box thing. I
        am going
        > to reread the instructions to see if I can figure it out.
        >
        > --
        > Scott
        > www.AntiFuel.com
        >
        > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 6 9:44 AM
          Nope, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

          It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing it
          through the machine.

          --
          Scott
          www.AntiFuel.com

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6 11:22 AM
            In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:44:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
            hacktorious@... writes:

            It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing it
            through the machine.

            Roll up most of it and clip it together with BIG spring clips or big hair
            clips, leaving about 12 or 14 inches of the end unrolled. After you sew couple
            of baffles on the part you didn't include in the initial roll, then roll up
            the side with the baffles sewn on and use more big clips. So you will have a
            roll to the left of the machine with the baffles, an unrolled section, and a
            side rolled up with no baffles yet on the right under the overhead arm. Make
            sense?

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 7 8:30 AM
              Yes, I will try it today. Thanks.

              On 4/6/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

              > In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:44:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
              > hacktorious@... <hacktorious%40gmail.com> writes:
              >
              > It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing
              > it
              > through the machine.
              >
              > Roll up most of it and clip it together with BIG spring clips or big hair
              > clips, leaving about 12 or 14 inches of the end unrolled. After you sew
              > couple
              > of baffles on the part you didn't include in the initial roll, then roll
              > up
              > the side with the baffles sewn on and use more big clips. So you will have
              > roll to the left of the machine with the baffles, an unrolled section, and
              > side rolled up with no baffles yet on the right under the overhead arm.
              > Make
              > sense?

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 15 9:41 AM
                The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

                However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
                it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
                OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
                sewing skills have improved a great deal.

                --
                Scott
                www.AntiFuel.com

              • amendment2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 15 2:55 PM
                  In a message dated 4/15/2007 11:42:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  hacktorious@... writes:

                  The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

                  However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
                  it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
                  OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
                  sewing skills have improved a great deal.

                  You're welcome, glad it helped you. I was camping this past weekend and it
                  was pretty cold. upper thirties low 40's overnight. I kinda wished I had that
                  quilt you are/have made. brr.

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 26 1:33 PM
                    I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned a book
                    called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."

                    I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered it. By
                    Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95 price
                    but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was printed
                    in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!

                    I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue, but I'm
                    wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
                    marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer edition?

                    Anyone have this book or cares to recommend another one?

                    PS It was really cool to see a photo of Ed Speer and Sgt. Rock.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                    > The clips work great, thanks for the tip... I learned a lot and my
                    sewing skills have improved a great deal.

                    > --
                    > Scott
                    > www.AntiFuel.com

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 26 6:44 PM
                      I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
                      publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a 1933
                      publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
                      Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton and
                      wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes and
                      wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of food.

                      CL

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 27 10:27 AM
                        :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

                        I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                        buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                        a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

                        sandy in miami

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                        <caralinb@...> wrote:

                        > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
                        > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
                        1933
                        > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
                        > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
                        and
                        > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
                        and
                        > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
                        food.

                        > CL
                        >
                        > Sandy Kramer wrote:
                        > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
                        a book
                        > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
                        > >
                        > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
                        it. By
                        > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
                        price
                        > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
                        printed
                        > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
                        > >
                        > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
                        but I'm
                        > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
                        > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
                        edition?

                      • C C Wayah
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 29 3:32 PM
                          Samdi in Miami,
                          Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                          Rogene

                          > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                          >
                          > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                          > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                          > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                          >
                          > sandy in miami
                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 30 8:21 AM
                            book is now at home...i'll look for it.

                            sandy in miami

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

                          • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 30 7:31 PM
                              Hi sandy in miami
                              would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
                              poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
                              Thank you in advance!
                              Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

                              > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                              >
                              > sandy in miami
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Samdi in Miami,
                              > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                              > > Rogene
                              > >

                              > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                              > > >
                              > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
                              > Fastex
                              > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
                              > converts to
                              > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                              > > >
                              > > > sandy in miami

                              Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                              Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
                            • Sandy Kramer
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                                I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
                                don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

                                but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

                                sandy in miami

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

                                > Hi sandy in miami
                                > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
                                for this
                                > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
                                it.
                                > Thank you in advance!
                                > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
                                >
                                > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                                > >
                                > > sandy in miami
                                > >

                                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Samdi in Miami,
                                > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                                > > > Rogene

                                > > Fastex
                                > > converts to

                                > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                                > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

                              • Chuck Henderson
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                                  is this what you are looking for

                                  http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                                    not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                                    Roling Hines.

                                    The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                                    floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                                    center top.

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                      Hi Chuck, everybody!
                                      I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                                      seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                                      Rene

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                        there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                                        anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                                        sandy in miami

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                          I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                                          He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                                          that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                                          ground closley
                                          in cold weather..
                                          I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                                          Rogene