Backcountry Site Selection

  • chrispbbb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hello All,

      I am looking for opinions about backcountry (not campsite) site
      selection. My experience with site selection has been based on my own
      trials and (mostly) errors. I am also looking for your reasonings for
      site selection, based on:

      - weather conditions
      - topography
      - pest avoidance
      - animal avoidance
      - setup conveniences
      - etc.

      My camping habits are early spring / late fall in Central Ontario.
      Since it is common to have cold weather, snow, and frozen lakes, my
      site selection usually is oriented towards staying warm. This involves:

      - staying away from the frozen lakes and other cold water sources
      - hill slopes on the leeward side and preferably on the morning sun side

      Another common concern for me is a large population of moose, bears,
      and wolves. The bears are not so much of a problem during the cold
      months. However, I am concerned about a moose accidently running into
      my hammock in the middle of the night. I believe camping on a steep
      slope helps but I have seen moose tracks coming and going on steep
      slopes. So if anyone has ideas about this, it would also be
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Chris