Gossamer Gear's 1/4" pad for hammocks

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 28, 2007
      Not sure if this has been discussed here, but they are now making it in
      a WIDE (40") version for hammocks. The standard 1/4-incher is 19.5"
      wide.

      Grant from GG said that it is very wide and that one should get in and
      have someone trace your torso and then cut it.

      hmmmm how the heck would you transport it on or in your pack? across
      the top you would look like a walking crucifix!!

      Comments?

      http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 28, 2007
        How long?
        I am trying to figure out a 36 inch wide pad to cover the bottom of a Lawson
        hammock.
        If I could get something like that, then cold weather here I come

        TV
      • Thomas Vickers

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 28, 2007
                      see specs below... google gossamer gear and click on sleeping

                      [PS sorry about the 4-times posting of the other message. tis a yahoo
                      thing. hope this one doesn't replicate itself. will delete extras]

                      sandy in miami

                      Weight:
                      1/8" varies: 1.9 - 2.1 oz.
                      1/4" varies: 3.5 - 4.2 oz.
                      1/4" Wide varies: 7.3 - 8.5 oz.
                      3/8" varies: 5.3 - 5.7 oz.
                      Size:
                      19.5" x 59" x 1/8"
                      19.5" x 59" x 1/4"

                      41" x 61" x 1/4" (Wide) [THIS IS THE ONE]

                      19.5" x 59" x 3/8"
                      note: Sizes may vary up to + or - 1/2"
                      Materials:
                      Closed cell Crosslinked Copolymer Polyolefin foam
                      Color:
                      Grey

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                        Sandy just emailed me off list to say she doesn't know why her posts today
                        keep repeating themselves. I don't know either, but it's probably a
                        YahooGroups malfunction-let's hope it goes away..Ed

                        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                        Editor, Hammock Camping News

                        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                        _____

                        --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <redroach@...> wrote:

                        > How long?
                        > I am trying to figure out a 36 inch wide pad to cover the bottom of
                        a Lawson hammock.
                        > If I could get something like that, then cold weather here I come
                        >
                        > TV

                      • RevT
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                          Its a yahoo thing. All my list are doing it.

                          Brian

                          On 3/29/07, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

                          > Sandy just emailed me off list to say she doesn't know why her posts
                          > today
                          > keep repeating themselves. I don't know either, but it's probably a
                          > YahooGroups malfunction-let's hope it goes away..Ed
                          >
                          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                          >
                          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                          >
                          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                          >
                          > __

                        • scmorse1
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                            I've been using the narrower version of this pad, with a couple
                            of "wings" duct taped on to make it wider. The wings are made out of
                            another pad. I fold them in & roll it up. It is no wider than any
                            other pad, maybe thicker in diameter.

                            Seems like you could fold it lengthwise somehow so it wouldn't be so
                            wide.

                            Thanks for the tip on the new version. I think I will upgrade. All
                            that duct tape is kinda heavy.

                            -Steve

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                              At first I thought it was Yahoo too but then I started getting the repeats form other list and from individual.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                                I've posted this before, but it seems germane.

                                I use an older model GoLite pack that's essentially a nylon bag with netting pockets on the outside. There's no frame or padding (except a little in the shoulder and hip straps).

                                I cut sheets of closed-cell foam into two pieces, each 18 to 20 inches wide and 3 feet long.

                                I roll these up and they form the "internal frame" of my pack.

                                At camp, I put them between the layers of my hammock, either side-by-side or in a T shape.

                                It's my best solution to the problem of having a wide pad without having it stick out all over when you're carrying it.

                                Bear

                              • RevT
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                                  Nope its a yahoo thing as usual.

                                  http://blog.360.yahoo.com/y_groups_team

                                  Brian

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                                    I don't know if you realize it but wide 1/4" pads have been available
                                    for a while. Speer Hammocks and Oware have both sold them for several
                                    years now.

                                    Also, for those wanting to widen their existing pads, the Speer
                                    Segmented Pad Extenders (SPE) were designed to do that.

                                    Dave Womble
                                    aka Youngblood 2000
                                    co-developer of the Speer SPE

                                    wrote:

                                    > Not sure if this has been discussed here, but they are now making it in
                                    > a WIDE (40") version for hammocks. The standard 1/4-incher is 19.5"
                                    > wide.
                                    >
                                    > Grant from GG said that it is very wide and that one should get in and
                                    > have someone trace your torso and then cut it.
                                    >
                                    > hmmmm how the heck would you transport it on or in your pack? across
                                    > the top you would look like a walking crucifix!!
                                    >
                                    > Comments?
                                    >
                                    > http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

                                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
                                      scmorse1 wrote:
                                      > Thanks for the tip on the new version. I think I will upgrade. All
                                      > that duct tape is kinda heavy.

                                      Don't want to knock duct tape (sacrilege!), but it IS heavy.

                                      CL