Re: relatively easy hike for a weekend

  • integrity2revive
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      The only trail that I know of in SC that follows a "stream" for miles
      is the foothills trail (www.foothillstrail.org). the foothills trail
      follows the Chattooga River. I love this trial. It is especially nice
      in the hot weather...a dip in this ice cold river is very refreshing.
      There are a lot of campsites along the river. I would suggest you
      start at "Burrell's Ford Trail Access" (A11 on the map) and hike down
      to Cheohee Road (A12 on the map). This is a 10.4 mile hike and the
      book says its "Strenuous due to length". I would say it is mild. To me
      this is the best part of the foothills. I have hiked it four times
      just so I could show friends and relatives how nice it is.

      You said you wanted something a bit more challenging. This trail is
      NOT "easy". It is not flat; it is not all downhill. The trail is well
      marked but it is not smooth...the trail is mostly roots and has fallen
      trees across the trail. You will have to jump a lot of creeks running
      into the river. It is rocky sometimes. It is a good exercise. You
      won't be bored...the view of the river is awesome and is constantly
      changing.

      IF you decide to hike it let me know and I will give you some more
      details.

      Lee

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen"