relatively easy hike for a weekend

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      Hey all! So I'm relatively new to hammock camping (slept out in the
      backyard a few times) and also to backpacking (due to mono last year I
      had to bail on my first backpacking trip) but I have all the gear I
      need and I want to do something soon. Does anyone have any
      suggestions on a relatively easy backpacking trip to do in a 2-3 day
      period? My partner and I both take day hikes fairly often and I would
      like to try something a bit more challenging. The hike I was supposed
      to go on last year (when I had mono) was somewhere in south carolina
      and I believe followed a stream line. Any ideas? Thanks!

      ~Kathleen

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
          The only trail that I know of in SC that follows a "stream" for miles
          is the foothills trail (www.foothillstrail.org). the foothills trail
          follows the Chattooga River. I love this trial. It is especially nice
          in the hot weather...a dip in this ice cold river is very refreshing.
          There are a lot of campsites along the river. I would suggest you
          start at "Burrell's Ford Trail Access" (A11 on the map) and hike down
          to Cheohee Road (A12 on the map). This is a 10.4 mile hike and the
          book says its "Strenuous due to length". I would say it is mild. To me
          this is the best part of the foothills. I have hiked it four times
          just so I could show friends and relatives how nice it is.

          You said you wanted something a bit more challenging. This trail is
          NOT "easy". It is not flat; it is not all downhill. The trail is well
          marked but it is not smooth...the trail is mostly roots and has fallen
          trees across the trail. You will have to jump a lot of creeks running
          into the river. It is rocky sometimes. It is a good exercise. You
          won't be bored...the view of the river is awesome and is constantly
          changing.

          IF you decide to hike it let me know and I will give you some more
          details.

          Lee

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen"