snakeskins/python skins

  • turnquisttim
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hi. I've tried to make snakeskins/python skins on my own several
      times, but it never seems to work out for me. It's starting to get
      frustrating. I've looked all over... at Risk's, at Just Jeff's... I'm
      about ready to just break down and buy some. Does anyone know where I
      can get a quality, yet cheap, snakeskin/python skin? Or, if anyone
      happens to have a good one just sitting around, needing to be used, I'm
      pretty sure I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Let me know, thanks!

      -Tim
    • Carey Parks

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 20, 2007
          They always end up horribly deformed, or not long enough, or not
          thin enough (as in wide as a pant leg), etc, etc. I'm tired of
          trying because it's been pretty time-consuming and it's starting to
          get a little costly. I've made my own stuff before... several
          hammocks (some more successful than others), a rudimentary pack,
          even fashioned something of a functional bug net to go around the
          hammock... the snakeskins have given me the most trouble, by far. I
          don't know, maybe it's a mental block or something.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
          wrote:

          > What has been the problem with the ones you made?

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 20, 2007
            What hammock are you trying to fit? I've made some for my HH Expedition that
            work fine. But it's important to know the length and the "bulk" of the
            collapsed hammock one is trying to fit.

            Have you used silnylon?

            wrote:

            > What has been the problem with the ones you made?

          • turnquisttim
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 20, 2007
              No, I haven't. That's why it's getting to be too expensive. I just
              bought a "The Travel Hammock" that's about 10 feet long and 5 feet
              wide. It's made of parachute silk. Maybe I'll try one more time
              once that one gets here.

              wrote:

              > What hammock are you trying to fit? I've made some for my HH
              Expedition that
              > work fine. But it's important to know the length and the "bulk" of
              the
              > collapsed hammock one is trying to fit.
              >
              > Have you used silnylon?

            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 20, 2007
                When you get the hammock, just make a short tube maybe 6 inches long from
                some material. Make it big enough to go around the hammock when "furled".
                Hang the hammock with that loop aound it and pull the loop back and forth on
                the hammock to be sure it's not too big or to small. Chances are it will be
                too big, so just hand sew or staple the loop to make it smaller and try it.
                When you find the size you like, you can mark the seam on both sides and
                open the loop and measure how big it should be. Leave 1/2 in seam allowance
                and that should be the width of material you need. Measure the length you
                want to cover and add about a foot so you have overlap on the ends and in
                the middle. Make two pieces and there you go.

                wrote:

                > What hammock are you trying to fit? I've made some for my HH
                Expedition that
                > work fine. But it's important to know the length and the "bulk" of
                the
                > collapsed hammock one is trying to fit.
                >
                > Have you used silnylon?

              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 20, 2007
                  You can buy a set from HH...they come in 4 sizes.

                  Pan

                  wrote:

                  > When you get the hammock, just make a short tube maybe 6 inches
                  long from
                  > some material. Make it big enough to go around the hammock
                  when "furled".
                  > Hang the hammock with that loop aound it and pull the loop back
                  and forth on
                  > the hammock to be sure it's not too big or to small. Chances are
                  it will be
                  > too big, so just hand sew or staple the loop to make it smaller
                  and try it.
                  > When you find the size you like, you can mark the seam on both
                  sides and
                  > open the loop and measure how big it should be. Leave 1/2 in seam
                  allowance
                  > and that should be the width of material you need. Measure the
                  length you
                  > want to cover and add about a foot so you have overlap on the ends
                  and in
                  > the middle. Make two pieces and there you go.

                • Douglas Campbell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 21, 2007
                    You could hang up your hammock, wrap it in a chain of half-hitches like the
                    old sailors used to do with their hammocks, then drape the material over the
                    hammock and pin it to fit down each half of the hammock. Leave enough extra
                    material for a hem and then sew it up. It's the same technique they use to
                    make fitted furniture covers. Just a thought.

                    ~Doug Campbell

                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 22, 2007
                      You wont need it for the Travel Hammock it comes wtih a little stuff
                      sack attached to the side of the hammock. I have one, it's great. I
                      just untie one end of the hammock squish it into the stuff sack while
                      walking toward the other , tied end, and then repeat. Done! While in
                      the hammock I use the stuff sack as a waterbottle holder.

                      Skins would just be added weight in my opinion.

                      Best of luck working it out.
                      jamie in az

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "turnquisttim"
                      <turnquisttim@...> wrote:

                      > No, I haven't. That's why it's getting to be too expensive. I just
                      > bought a "The Travel Hammock" that's about 10 feet long and 5 feet
                      > wide. It's made of parachute silk. Maybe I'll try one more time
                      > once that one gets here.
                    • trailsnail2000
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 22, 2007
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

                        > You wont need it for the Travel Hammock it comes wtih a little stuff
                        > sack attached to the side of the hammock. I have one, it's great. I
                        > just untie one end of the hammock squish it into the stuff sack while
                        > walking toward the other , tied end, and then repeat. Done! While
                        in
                        > the hammock I use the stuff sack as a waterbottle holder.
                        >
                        > Skins would just be added weight in my opinion.
                        >
                        > Best of luck working it out.
                        > jamie in az

                        I must chime in here. I've built my hammocks based on the travel
                        hammock. I've added bug-net & a over head line to carry some of the
                        load. I can string it tight or loose and it always hangs right. I've
                        made sil-nylon skins for my rig. Not only does it keep my hammock clean
                        and dry, the skins help shed rain from soaking the lines and wicking
                        into my space. For the 1/2 ounce it is worth it to me. It also speeds
                        set up and breaking camp for me
                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 23, 2007
                          Genuine python skin is probably really expensive and probably won't work
                          well. Probably heavy, too...

                          CL

                          turnquisttim wrote:
                          > Hi. I've tried to make snakeskins/python skins on my own several
                          > times, but it never seems to work out for me. It's starting to get
                          > frustrating. I've looked all over... at Risk's, at Just Jeff's... I'm
                          > about ready to just break down and buy some. Does anyone know where I
                          > can get a quality, yet cheap, snakeskin/python skin? Or, if anyone
                          > happens to have a good one just sitting around, needing to be used, I'm
                          > pretty sure I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Let me know, thanks!
                          >
                          > -Tim
                        • turnquisttim
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 23, 2007
                            Woah, funny!

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                            <caralinb@...> wrote:

                            > Genuine python skin is probably really expensive and probably
                            won't work
                            > well. Probably heavy, too...
                            >
                            > CL
                            >
                            > turnquisttim wrote:
                            > > Hi. I've tried to make snakeskins/python skins on my own
                            several
                            > > times, but it never seems to work out for me. It's starting to
                            get
                            > > frustrating. I've looked all over... at Risk's, at Just
                            Jeff's... I'm
                            > > about ready to just break down and buy some. Does anyone know
                            where I
                            > > can get a quality, yet cheap, snakeskin/python skin? Or, if
                            anyone
                            > > happens to have a good one just sitting around, needing to be
                            used, I'm
                            > > pretty sure I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Let me know,
                            thanks!

                            > > -Tim

                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 23, 2007
                              Continuing this line of silliness... (flogging a dead snake?)

                              Using a genuine python skin ought to save lots of sewing. Just find a
                              snake of suitable girth and length. Once you've skinned it, the skin
                              will stretch to include a length long enough for overlap once you've cut
                              the skin in half. Snip off the end of the tail, and you've opening
                              enough on both ends through which to thread the hammock support ropes.

                              Bicycle tire inner tubes would be more environmentally friendly (save
                              endangered species AND meet the reuse part of reduce, reuse, recycle
                              mantra) and completely waterproof. They'd also be dual-use as emergency
                              fire starter (but then silnylon is probably already that).
                              Unfortunately, these, too, would be rather weighty.

                              If not concerned too much about waterproofness, I suppose you could come
                              up with something almost as wild and much lighter (and requiring sewing)
                              from the patterned cloths offered in a fabric shop. I'm afraid most
                              pythons for sale in the toy department are likely to be too short and
                              too fuzzy, but you wouldn't have to do much sewing...

                              CL

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 23, 2007
                                a while back i suggested using noseeum netting to make snake skins.
                                the idea is that it would allow a wet tarp to dry somewhat as you hike... at least the outer portions, if the wet tarp was carried in an outer mesh pocket.
                                it's got it's pros & cons but several people are using them now. ...tim

                                Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote: Genuine python skin is probably really expensive and probably won't work
                                well. Probably heavy, too...

                                CL
                                .