hiking poles as a spreder bar

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
      Question?
      I have been thinking.
      Would it damage my leki poles to use as a spreader bar somehow if I can
      figure out how to insert them so they spread withotu damaging the fabric?,
      Just processing questionable ideas and asking for your thoughts.
      Rogene.
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
        > Question?
        > I have been thinking.
        > Would it damage my leki poles to use as a spreader bar somehow if I can
        > figure out how to insert them so they spread withotu damaging the fabric?,
        > Just processing questionable ideas and asking for your thoughts.
        > Rogene.

        Are the poles adjustable? I think they will be all right, its the
        fabric that wont take it. I've been toying with the idea as well, but
        I cant think of anything that wont tear the fabric. I thought about
        adding a grommet in the fabric. But I think I just need heavier
        fabric.

        Brian
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
          if you used it to spread the hammock flat like the old style hammocks, it would probably be pretty hard on the trekking pole & the light weight hammock.
          but i've been using mine for a while now in such a way that it just spreads the top of the hammock sides, as if you simply reach up & spread the sides out w/ your hands. that doesn't require much force.
          i added a daisy chain of 3/4" webbing ( about 12" long) to the hammock edges to spread the pull & give a choice of attachment points.
          i also used a small loop of shock cord at each attachment point, which adds a lot of forgiveness. i don't see this causing any problem w/ the hammock edges or the trekking pole.
          i just added pictures in an album titled "slowhike's storage end covers".
          i was recently pleased that ed expressed an interest in coming up w/ a simpler version of the end covers that he could offer on his speer hammock web site.
          i'm working on an improved, simpler version that will be easier to make & use.
          ...tim

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
            Glad to hear somone else is thining along these lines too.
            I know the drawback is the fabric(and possibly stress to the hiking ploes
            causing them to bow) and was wondering if some has solved that issue
            already.

            Rogene

            >> Would it damage my leki poles to use as a spreader bar somehow if I can
            >> figure out how to insert them so they spread withotu damaging the
            >> fabric?,
            >> Just processing questionable ideas and asking for your thoughts.
            >> Rogene.
            >>

            > Are the poles adjustable? I think they will be all right, its the
            > fabric that wont take it. I've been toying with the idea as well, but
            > I cant think of anything that wont tear the fabric. I thought about
            > adding a grommet in the fabric. But I think I just need heavier
            > fabric.
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
              Back in 2002 I tired out something like your describing just to spread the
              sides open. I never got to where I had a system that held the poles all
              night long without them poping out and I was nto sure the poles could handle
              the stress.. I'm intrigued with your idea please,
              Can you email the pictres direcly to me?
              OR give me the URL to the pictures.
              The little time the poles stayed on I was so much more comfortable.
              WOW I'm impressed with this group's inventiveness.

              Thanks Tim.
              Rogene
              CCWayah .
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
                Here is a link to my "Spreader Bar Hammock. I have
                made 4 like this and they sleep really well. You just
                need to use material that is a bit stronger than
                normal. I use part of each of my two trekking poles
                at night to spread the ends.

                http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3030/index.html?skip_to_post=22585#22585

                Bill in Texas

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
                  i've been sleeping every night, at home & several nights on the trail, w/ this set up for close to two months now. there's no sign of stress or damage to the hammock edge or anything else.
                  think about the webbing bar tacked as a dasiy chain on the hammock edge & the shock cord loops. a good combonation. very little stress on the treking pole or the hammock.
                  does a great job of giving the hammock an open, structured feeling.
                  to see all the photos go to the "home made gallery" at <http://hammockfourms.net>
                  ...tim
                  C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote: Back in 2002 I tired out something like your describing just to spread the