Re: space blankets/condensation

  • chrispbbb
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2007
      I live in Canada and have camped in my hammock down to 0F / -20C. I
      have a Hennessy Hammock with the SuperShelter.
      My sleeping bag is a rectangular side-zipper type rated for 32F. I
      wear a synthetic base layer and fleece top and pants.
      However, the biggest difference I find for warmth is how I use a
      space (reflective) blanket. I have made a top and pants out of the
      material that I wear between the base layer and the fleece layer.
      The space blanket both reflects back radiant heat loss and acts as a
      vapour barrier. The vapour barrier part is important to minimize
      body moisture loss (i.e. dehydration) in sub-zero temperatures.
      With the space blanket layer I am toasty warm all night, without I
      would freeze.
      There is condensation buildup under the space blanket, but thanks to
      the base layer it is wicked over your body and does not become
      uncomfortable.
      The only downside I find is the crinkly noise made but this is
      muffled under the fleece layer and inside the sleeping bag.

      The important thing about using a space blanket is that it must be
      close to your body with a small air gap (i.e. base layer). Otherwise
      it is ineffective at reflecting back the radiant heat loss.

      Cheers,
      Chris