F2 Pack List

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
      It occasionally comes up that someone thinks it is difficult to do
      lightweight camping with a hammock.

      Just for illustration, here is a link to the outfit I will be taking
      with me tomorrow for a half week of hiking on the AT:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/packlist.htm

      I show the list, the weights, and the pack I built this last week to
      carry it all in.

      It is about 2 pounds over what an ultralighter would carry, but has a
      couple comfort items thrown in there...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
        Message
        All the best on your hike Rick.  Hope we can hike together someday.....Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
          I always enjoy seeing a packlist, nice to see how someone else does
          it especially a fellow hamock hanger. Your tyek sitting pad has been
          added to my list. I didn't see much fat or comfort items on your
          list. Ok there is the almost 6lbs of food for three days. Personally
          I always found it hard to get to the Glenn Van Peski 1.5 lbs a day
          goal. What I did notice though were some missing or intentially
          omitted items from your pack. Missing from your list are first aid
          kit, bug stuff, stove, stove fuel, whistle, knife, tp, compass &
          tooth brush. I got a feeling some of these thing are in your pack.
          Being a gear geek I would also think to know what brand are your
          generic items like head light, treking pole, kettle etc. I know you
          are a converted speer guy so I'm, guessing your using a speer style
          hammock. Finally as an East Coaster myself, I live in PA, I was
          wondering about your choice of sealskinz for the summer. I have them
          too but only use them when it is raining in the 40's otherwise I find
          them too warm for the AT. Finally are you happy with your ursack, I
          use just a rope and my sleeping bag stuff sack and feel that it is
          adequate for the Eastern US. I've enjoyed reading your web pages keep
          adding to them.

          Thanks

          Bob
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
            Hi Bob,

            For some of your comments, please take a new look at the list. Over
            at BackPacking Lite, Mappicus took me to task on the SealSkinz and
            the fleece. I revised the list to do without... until the temps go
            back to below freezing again.

            Other comments scattered below:

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rnunnink@s...> wrote:
            > I always enjoy seeing a packlist, nice to see how someone else does
            > it especially a fellow hamock hanger. Your tyek sitting pad has
            been
            > added to my list. I didn't see much fat or comfort items on your
            > list. Ok there is the almost 6lbs of food for three days.
            Personally
            > I always found it hard to get to the Glenn Van Peski 1.5 lbs a day
            > goal.
            For 6 days I got to 9 pounds... 4 days (72 hours) it depends on how
            you count it... from 10 AM on Thursday to 10 AM on Sunday... some of
            the food stuff just comes with packing up (Oh, and to be honest, the
            food support stuff was counted twice, this included the cup, spoon,
            ursack, oil, coffee, etc... I have that broken out on the list but
            just weighed all the food stuff in the sack for the food weight.
            Lack of precision on my part.)

            What I did notice though were some missing or intentially
            > omitted items from your pack. Missing from your list are first aid
            > kit, bug stuff, stove, stove fuel, whistle, knife, tp, compass &
            > tooth brush. I got a feeling some of these thing are in your pack.

            Hmm,.. some are there in the dop kit. I do have bug repellant,
            motrin, Glucosamine, vitamins, prescription cholesterol med, Dr.
            Brohmer's soap, and Desitin in the Dop kit. I count that as the
            first aid kit as well. Between that, my hankerchief and my brain,
            almost all first aid is taken care of. The dop kit also includes a
            little micro leatherman and a car key.

            Stove is replaced by the 6.5 oz kettle. See:

            http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/ultrakettle.htm

            So, fuel is just the twigs I pick up around the fire ring.

            > Being a gear geek I would also think to know what brand are your
            > generic items like head light, (first gen Petzl)
            treking pole, (MSR Carbon Overland)
            I know you
            > are a converted speer guy so I'm, guessing your using a speer style
            > hammock. Actually a distant deriviative of the Speer: double
            bottom 1.1 oz fabric, 4 feet wide, with integrated "throw over" bug
            net. Still using the overhand knots and the 1 inch webbing

            Finally as an East Coaster myself, I live in PA, I was
            > wondering about your choice of sealskinz for the summer. I have
            them
            > too but only use them when it is raining in the 40's otherwise I
            find
            > them too warm for the AT. (As above, I have decided to put them in
            the drawer until next winter.)

            Finally are you happy with your ursack, I
            > use just a rope and my sleeping bag stuff sack and feel that it is
            > adequate for the Eastern US.
            I actually bought the ursack for the AT... not for bears but for
            mice. I have not seen many people actually having problems with mice
            getting into packs or food bags hung from the shelter hangers, like I
            expected from reading trail journals. Over time, I may skip that
            extra 4 oz and go to a simple silnylon sack.

            I've enjoyed reading your web pages keep
            > adding to them.
            >
            > Thanks

            And thanks to you too!

            Rick
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
              > It occasionally comes up that someone thinks it is
              > difficult to do lightweight camping with a hammock.

              Heathens! Evil Heathens! I've fought their kind many times...

              Shane
            • Stephen T. Gregorie
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2003
                Rick,

                Did you work with a pattern for your pack. Belt/
                suspension also home made?

                http://calendar.yahoo.com