Re: [Hammock Camping] Long and skinny

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11 3:55 PM
      Dave good points on the tarp and sag.
      Okay, let's look at it from a dayhiking point of view.
      I use a hammock regularly while just out taking photographs.
      So the tarp factor aside I was wondering about how the long and skinny would
      lie.
      I guess I could get some cheap fabric and see.
      I was hoping this would overcome two factors that seem a bit bothersome.
      They are, the extra fabric on the sides kind of flopping around and the
      other
      is having my head too close to where the hammock tapers into the whipping.
      So, it seemed (by looking at my son) that a longer, skinnier hammock would
      be
      more comfortable.

      Scott

      > Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
      > making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
      > well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
      > type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
      > type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
      > utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
      > comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
      > with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
      > eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.
      >
      > Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
      > take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
      > one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
      > more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
      > (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
      > body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
      > the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
      > length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
      > overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
      > think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
      > mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
      > up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
      > the same material.
      >
      > Youngblood

    • shortdottedline
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12 10:41 AM
        --- I have been DIYing a long time. I have about 20 lbs of fabric,
        syl ,rip stop etc. about 15 misc alc stoves, cozies and stuff. the
        first addr. I get I'l send it to you, gratis, I just can't stand to
        throw it all out!
        The gnome of blue island!
      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12 11:07 AM
          Am I the right caller? E-mail me direct and I'll send my address if so.

          Cheers,

          Carey