Re: [Hammock Camping] Long and skinny

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007

      > my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim
      >
      > My test hammocks start as 12 feet of cloth (then I tie the sheet
      bends) so
      > 11' seems about right.
      >

      > Ralph

      Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
      making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
      well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
      type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
      type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
      utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
      comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
      with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
      eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.

      Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
      take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
      one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
      more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
      (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
      body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
      the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
      length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
      overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
      think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
      mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
      up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
      the same material.

      Youngblood
    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007
        Dave good points on the tarp and sag.
        Okay, let's look at it from a dayhiking point of view.
        I use a hammock regularly while just out taking photographs.
        So the tarp factor aside I was wondering about how the long and skinny would
        lie.
        I guess I could get some cheap fabric and see.
        I was hoping this would overcome two factors that seem a bit bothersome.
        They are, the extra fabric on the sides kind of flopping around and the
        other
        is having my head too close to where the hammock tapers into the whipping.
        So, it seemed (by looking at my son) that a longer, skinnier hammock would
        be
        more comfortable.

        Scott

        > Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
        > making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
        > well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
        > type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
        > type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
        > utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
        > comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
        > with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
        > eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.
        >
        > Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
        > take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
        > one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
        > more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
        > (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
        > body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
        > the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
        > length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
        > overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
        > think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
        > mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
        > up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
        > the same material.
        >
        > Youngblood

      • shortdottedline
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
          --- I have been DIYing a long time. I have about 20 lbs of fabric,
          syl ,rip stop etc. about 15 misc alc stoves, cozies and stuff. the
          first addr. I get I'l send it to you, gratis, I just can't stand to
          throw it all out!
          The gnome of blue island!
        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
            Am I the right caller? E-mail me direct and I'll send my address if so.

            Cheers,

            Carey