Re: Long and skinny

  • Christie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
      You could try making a prototype with a bed sheet for width. See how
      that works for you.
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
        i like my hammocks about 48 to 50" wide, but i don't know if you'd want to go to much more narrow than that. it might work fine for you but it might be a good idea to start w/ about 48".
        it would be easy enough to take off more if you decided to.

        the length would probably add some comfort in the way of flexibility, but would require the trees you use to be farther apart. so it could limit you from using two trees that you would really like to use at some point. just some thing to have in mind.
        my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim

[...]

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
          my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim

          My test hammocks start as 12 feet of cloth (then I tie the sheet bends) so
          11' seems about right.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007

            > my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim
            >
            > My test hammocks start as 12 feet of cloth (then I tie the sheet
            bends) so
            > 11' seems about right.
            >

            > Ralph

            Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
            making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
            well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
            type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
            type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
            utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
            comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
            with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
            eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.

            Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
            take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
            one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
            more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
            (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
            body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
            the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
            length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
            overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
            think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
            mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
            up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
            the same material.

            Youngblood
          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007
              Dave good points on the tarp and sag.
              Okay, let's look at it from a dayhiking point of view.
              I use a hammock regularly while just out taking photographs.
              So the tarp factor aside I was wondering about how the long and skinny would
              lie.
              I guess I could get some cheap fabric and see.
              I was hoping this would overcome two factors that seem a bit bothersome.
              They are, the extra fabric on the sides kind of flopping around and the
              other
              is having my head too close to where the hammock tapers into the whipping.
              So, it seemed (by looking at my son) that a longer, skinnier hammock would
              be
              more comfortable.

              Scott

              > Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
              > making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
              > well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
              > type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
              > type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
              > utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
              > comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
              > with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
              > eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.
              >
              > Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
              > take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
              > one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
              > more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
              > (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
              > body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
              > the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
              > length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
              > overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
              > think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
              > mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
              > up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
              > the same material.
              >
              > Youngblood

            • shortdottedline
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
                --- I have been DIYing a long time. I have about 20 lbs of fabric,
                syl ,rip stop etc. about 15 misc alc stoves, cozies and stuff. the
                first addr. I get I'l send it to you, gratis, I just can't stand to
                throw it all out!
                The gnome of blue island!
              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Am I the right caller? E-mail me direct and I'll send my address if so.

                  Cheers,

                  Carey