Long and skinny

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
      I was just out on hike with my son. I just made another hammock so he got my
      old one.
      I made one for him last year but it seemed a bit small. He likes the extra
      room
      and wrapping himself completely.
      This made me wonder about something.
      Has anyone made a long hammock?
      As I saw my son laying in a 10' hammock he was in center far from the
      whipped ends.
      Mine is also 10' and longer than what most people probably do...I'm 6'3"
      I was thinking about making one 12 to 13' long.
      Something else I notice is all the extra fabric on the sides my latest is
      48" wide.
      So here's the questions:
      If it's longer and I'm away from the whipped ends couldn't I make it
      skinnier since I'm in the middle?
      Laying diagnol I'd say I take up 30" or so on the width.....how much would
      yall say you do?
      So let's say I tried something like 13' by 42", how would that hang?
      Would it be more comfortable, less comfortable, no different?
      This would also use less webbing.

      Scott

    • Christie
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
        You could try making a prototype with a bed sheet for width. See how
        that works for you.
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
          i like my hammocks about 48 to 50" wide, but i don't know if you'd want to go to much more narrow than that. it might work fine for you but it might be a good idea to start w/ about 48".
          it would be easy enough to take off more if you decided to.

          the length would probably add some comfort in the way of flexibility, but would require the trees you use to be farther apart. so it could limit you from using two trees that you would really like to use at some point. just some thing to have in mind.
          my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim

[...]

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2007
            my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim

            My test hammocks start as 12 feet of cloth (then I tie the sheet bends) so
            11' seems about right.

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007

              > my latest hammock is 11' though. ...tim
              >
              > My test hammocks start as 12 feet of cloth (then I tie the sheet
              bends) so
              > 11' seems about right.
              >

              > Ralph

              Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
              making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
              well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
              type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
              type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
              utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
              comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
              with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
              eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.

              Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
              take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
              one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
              more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
              (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
              body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
              the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
              length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
              overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
              think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
              mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
              up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
              the same material.

              Youngblood
            • Scott Schroeder
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007
                Dave good points on the tarp and sag.
                Okay, let's look at it from a dayhiking point of view.
                I use a hammock regularly while just out taking photographs.
                So the tarp factor aside I was wondering about how the long and skinny would
                lie.
                I guess I could get some cheap fabric and see.
                I was hoping this would overcome two factors that seem a bit bothersome.
                They are, the extra fabric on the sides kind of flopping around and the
                other
                is having my head too close to where the hammock tapers into the whipping.
                So, it seemed (by looking at my son) that a longer, skinnier hammock would
                be
                more comfortable.

                Scott

                > Eleven feet... how long is the tarp you use with that? If you start
                > making the tarp too long, then you almost need to made it wider as
                > well because you can't drop it down as close to the hammock in a storm
                > type setup. For backpacking where I need a tarp, I use a 8.5 Speer
                > type hammock which is about 9 feet long and the full 5 foot width. I
                > utilize the full width when I lay on a diagonal and find that the most
                > comfortable position for me. That was as long as I was comfortable
                > with using with my 10.5 foot by 8 foot rectangular tarp when I
                > eyeballed the coverage and considered blowing rain.
                >
                > Anyhow, when you start talking about longer hammocks you will need to
                > take a look at the tarp as well. Then there is the bugnet, if you use
                > one of those as it might have to be rethought as well. Most of the
                > more comfortable hammocks use a fabric that stretches, like nylon.
                > (If it doesn't stretch, then it will not conform all that well to your
                > body shape and you will get uncomfortable pressure points.) I believe
                > the total fabric stretch will be proportional to the total fabric
                > length. If that is the case, you may have a bigger issue with
                > overnight stretch and staying off the ground with a longer hammock. I
                > think I end up roughly half a foot closer to the ground in the
                > mornings with my 9 foot hammocks so I would predict that I would end
                > up roughly 9 inches closer to the ground with a 14 foot hammock using
                > the same material.
                >
                > Youngblood

              • shortdottedline
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
                  --- I have been DIYing a long time. I have about 20 lbs of fabric,
                  syl ,rip stop etc. about 15 misc alc stoves, cozies and stuff. the
                  first addr. I get I'l send it to you, gratis, I just can't stand to
                  throw it all out!
                  The gnome of blue island!
                • Carey Parks
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
                    Am I the right caller? E-mail me direct and I'll send my address if so.

                    Cheers,

                    Carey