Re: [Hammock Camping] [Fwd: Re: changing rooms - How to Tie a Lungi] - photos posted

  • ij santiago
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
      trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
      might be the ticket!
      i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
      thakx...

      On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

      > ij santiago wrote:
      > > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
      >
      > Well, a lungi could be a good way to start. Few other things require
      > more elementary sewing than a lungi. Lungis sold in Bangladesh and
      > other places are sold unsewn.
      >
      > I suppose you could staple it together -- but that would add prickliness
      > and shorten the lungi life-span (rust, for one thing).
      >
      > Fabric shops sell fabric glues. You could try gluing the ends together.
      > If you always have the seam in one of the rabbit ears, then there
      > would be no stress on the seam.
      >
      > CL

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        Exactly right. I'm fond of Madras Plaid, but any cloth would do (hmmm,
        silk...). Just check bolt width to make sure it suits you.

        CL

        Carey Parks wrote:
        > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite big
        > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
        > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
        > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
          Sewing machine? Who said anything about a sewing machine? Dental floss
          and a needle is about my limit! And with a lungi, if you sew crooked,
          it doesn't matter.

          CL

          ij santiago wrote:
          > trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
          > might be the ticket!
          > i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
          > thakx...
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
            Multi-use -- as others have stated before.

            Although pants can also be multi-use, the only things they do better
            than a lungi are save embarrassment if you fall out of a tree or do a
            Marylin Monroe and reduce entanglement when bushwacking. They are also
            likely to be warmer when it's cold.

            Cl