Hammock Cocoon & backyard testing.

  • Paul Kaercher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
      Last year I tested a 4" thick home made quilt, 3 3/8" foam pads,
      cuban tarp, and a silk hammock in the backyard .
      At 17 degrees and no wind I was cool but OK.
      I realized that any appreciable wind would make staying
      comfortable wishful thinking. I considered making a travel pod
      but I use a ridge line and wanted enough room inside to read.
      So this year I slapped together a hammock cocoon out of dacron
      sail cloth (water repellent & breathable)to test the concept.

      http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t198/pkaercher/DSC02029.jpg

      (in case the photo does not show the caption here it is:
      The cocoon is backlit so you can see the hammock inside,
      the quilt is piled on the right half of the hammock.
      The black fabric is the door cover, which is not attached to the failed
      velcro attachment points and is hiding the vertical door slit.)

      I was wearing a cotton undershirt, cotton long sleeved
      shirt (I know cotton kills, but not in my back yard) a
      mid-weight fleece top, Cotton sweat-pants, lined ski pants,
      a balaclava and a knit cap, plus cotton gloves.
      I also used a Stephenson's DAM instead of foam pads.

      I was hot in 5 min. so I took off the ski pants and used
      them as a pillow. The gloves came off, and the knit cap came off.
      Then I un-tucked the quilt to let some cool air circulate.

      The cocoon really makes a difference. As long as I breath
      through the balaclava moisture buildup on the inside is
      not too bad. However the balaclava was too tight (they
      seem to only be sold as a one size fits all)
      and was giving me a head ache, so off it came. The air
      inside the cocoon was warm enough to be comfortable
      without anything over my mouth & nose, but the part
      of the cocoon closest to my face got wet. So in
      the future I will have to breath through something loose
      knit to reduce moisture build-up.

      The door to the cocoon closes with 1" hook & loop
      with self stick backing. Well the velcro stuck
      fine to itself but the self stick backing doesn't stick when it's cold,
      so I will have to sew them on.

      At 2pm I was still toasty but had to pee. When I went inside
      I checked the outside temp, only 21, not cold enough so I just stayed inside.
      My wife woke up, looked at the clock, and mumbled
      "wuss" and went back to sleep.

      2nd Night.

      3" of new snow. wind 10-12mph.
      Clothing: cotton: socks, undershirt, long sleeved shirt,
      sweat-pants. Plus a fleece jacket and polyester cap.

      I slept until 4:30AM at which point I had to pee. (Denise
      woke up, again, looked at the clock and said "Hmmm
      I see you lasted a little longer tonight." I think she is under
      the misconception that night testing should last all night.)
      By then it was 13 degrees and almost no wind.
      I was warm (not toasty) with a couple of cool spots
      which (as I tested out) could be alleviated with the
      closed cell foam sit pad I carry on trips (about 8"X12")
      For cold weather camping I would carry 2 of them.

      I had some ice and liquid water on the inside of the
      cocoon around my head, but no moisture anywhere on the quilt
      or on the cocoon from the waist down to my feet.

      I used an old bulky loose knit beanie as a face cover.
      It worked great, I breathed in warm moist air the whole
      time. I find breathing cold air very annoying
      when I'm trying to get to sleep. I'm getting crotchety
      (soft) as I get older.

      I had an indoor/outdoor thermometer on top of the
      quilt and it varied between 40 & 45 degrees. The air in
      the cocoon was cooler than that as you got away from the
      surface of the quilt, but it was above freezing.
      If I do this again I will bring a clip to hang the thermometer
      from the ridge line to keep it off the quilt.
      If you don't like sleeping with something over your face, using
      the cocoon lets you breath air that is significantly warmer and
      moister than the outside air.

      If I had used my normal winter camping clothing, I would
      probably be warm down to 8 degrees or so. Wind would
      likely bump that up some, but when I fix the door flap,
      the wind should not be too bad. It will be interesting to
      test in more wind because I suspect as the cocoon flaps,
      air will be pumped in and out of the snorkels (ends)
      and the door. This will lower the inside air temp but will
      also exhaust moisture.

      I like the concept and will add 2 Cuben fabric windows so
      I can see out both sides.

      Paul
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2007
        Great idea & report Paul. Let us know how it continues to work. I'm
        working on something similar for Speer Hammocks-should have it out soon..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____