RE: [Hammock Camping] [Fwd: Re: changing rooms - How to Tie a Lungi] - photos posted

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
      You can't change you pants with your pants on, but you can change your pants
      with your lungi on.

      This whole thread started when I asked how hammockers would change out of a
      wet, salty swim suit. I hung my hammock but could not pitch the tarp or
      stake out the hammock even because the sea breeze was blowing about 15 kts.
      By evening it would calm down, but I wanted to change into something dry
      before the sun went down. That's what started the thread. The lungi was
      suggested as that something dry I should change into. I could just put it
      on, and slip the suit off the bottom.

      That said, I expect a lungi would have all the other advantages of a kilt.
      Check out Risk's page (imrisk.com) for some insight into his experiences
      with a kilt on the AT.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
        might be the ticket!
        i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
        thakx...

        On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

        > ij santiago wrote:
        > > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
        >
        > Well, a lungi could be a good way to start. Few other things require
        > more elementary sewing than a lungi. Lungis sold in Bangladesh and
        > other places are sold unsewn.
        >
        > I suppose you could staple it together -- but that would add prickliness
        > and shorten the lungi life-span (rust, for one thing).
        >
        > Fabric shops sell fabric glues. You could try gluing the ends together.
        > If you always have the seam in one of the rabbit ears, then there
        > would be no stress on the seam.
        >
        > CL

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
            Exactly right. I'm fond of Madras Plaid, but any cloth would do (hmmm,
            silk...). Just check bolt width to make sure it suits you.

            CL

            Carey Parks wrote:
            > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite big
            > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
            > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
            > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
              Sewing machine? Who said anything about a sewing machine? Dental floss
              and a needle is about my limit! And with a lungi, if you sew crooked,
              it doesn't matter.

              CL

              ij santiago wrote:
              > trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
              > might be the ticket!
              > i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
              > thakx...
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                Multi-use -- as others have stated before.

                Although pants can also be multi-use, the only things they do better
                than a lungi are save embarrassment if you fall out of a tree or do a
                Marylin Monroe and reduce entanglement when bushwacking. They are also
                likely to be warmer when it's cold.

                Cl