RE: [Hammock Camping] [Fwd: Re: changing rooms - How to Tie a Lungi] - photos posted

  • James Wampler
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
      How are lungi's better than pants?

    • jamesdwampler
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        Sorry guys! I sent out a reply through my email, it probably would be
        better to do here - but what exactly is the benefit of a lungi over
        pants?
      • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
          Hi everybody!
          eveybody is talking about the the lungi. Why not use the "malong" of the
          maaranao tribe of southern Philippines instead. Its a piece of cloth (a tube in
          fact)very similar to the lungi the only difference is that its 6 to 8 ft long.
          You can use it as a blanket, towel, kilt, etc. The maranao tribesmen even made
          a dance of the 101 ways to use the malong. They even use for it
          sunshade, privacy curtain, temporary hammock for infants, blanket, towel etc.
          Its very
          practical and the only difference with the lungi is the length. In the southern
          philippines it is usually made of
          cotton although some malong used by the local "royalty" are made of silk,
          good quality cotton, or indonesian "batik". Anyway just follow the instruction
          on how to make a lungi but add a few ft. just enough to cover you from head to
          foot. I once saw a basketball team of maranao tribesmen attired in malong (worn
          like a kilt) and jersey.One member of the team even took a siesta break by
          untying his malong and extending it full length to cover his head. All i could
          say is that the game was "unique" and "interesting." Women can wear the malong
          too by tying it up at armpit level or tying a knot above the right or left
          shoulder.

          Rene

          Quoting ij santiago <snoopylives1@...>:

          > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
          >
          > On 3/8/07, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite
          > > big
          > > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
          > > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
          > > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
          > >
          > > But don't believe me, I'm the one who started this thread. One of the
          > > experts will no doubt chime in.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Carey

          Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
          Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
            You can't change you pants with your pants on, but you can change your pants
            with your lungi on.

            This whole thread started when I asked how hammockers would change out of a
            wet, salty swim suit. I hung my hammock but could not pitch the tarp or
            stake out the hammock even because the sea breeze was blowing about 15 kts.
            By evening it would calm down, but I wanted to change into something dry
            before the sun went down. That's what started the thread. The lungi was
            suggested as that something dry I should change into. I could just put it
            on, and slip the suit off the bottom.

            That said, I expect a lungi would have all the other advantages of a kilt.
            Check out Risk's page (imrisk.com) for some insight into his experiences
            with a kilt on the AT.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
              trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
              might be the ticket!
              i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
              thakx...

              On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

              > ij santiago wrote:
              > > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
              >
              > Well, a lungi could be a good way to start. Few other things require
              > more elementary sewing than a lungi. Lungis sold in Bangladesh and
              > other places are sold unsewn.
              >
              > I suppose you could staple it together -- but that would add prickliness
              > and shorten the lungi life-span (rust, for one thing).
              >
              > Fabric shops sell fabric glues. You could try gluing the ends together.
              > If you always have the seam in one of the rabbit ears, then there
              > would be no stress on the seam.
              >
              > CL

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                  Exactly right. I'm fond of Madras Plaid, but any cloth would do (hmmm,
                  silk...). Just check bolt width to make sure it suits you.

                  CL

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                    Sewing machine? Who said anything about a sewing machine? Dental floss
                    and a needle is about my limit! And with a lungi, if you sew crooked,
                    it doesn't matter.

                    CL

                    ij santiago wrote:
                    > trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
                    > might be the ticket!
                    > i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
                    > thakx...
                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Multi-use -- as others have stated before.

                      Although pants can also be multi-use, the only things they do better
                      than a lungi are save embarrassment if you fall out of a tree or do a
                      Marylin Monroe and reduce entanglement when bushwacking. They are also
                      likely to be warmer when it's cold.

                      Cl