[Fwd: Re: changing rooms - How to Tie a Lungi] - photos posted

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
      I've posted the photos on the HammockCamping site under 'How to tie a
      Lungi" More details are below.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        Thanks again, CL !! Hope you post the photos/directions/etc. on the WH's site, too !!
        You may have just started a new trail-related fad!!

        Rosie
        mdhiker

      • ij santiago
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
          where can i find a lungi.......i live in georgia.

          On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

          > I've posted the photos on the HammockCamping site under 'How to tie a
          > Lungi" More details are below.

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
            Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite big
            box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
            thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
            You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.

            But don't believe me, I'm the one who started this thread. One of the
            experts will no doubt chime in.

            Cheers,

            Carey

            where can i find a lungi.......i live in georgia.

            On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

            > I've posted the photos on the HammockCamping site under 'How to tie a
            > Lungi" More details are below.

          • ij santiago
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
              can't sew to safe my life!!!!!

              On 3/8/07, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite
              > big
              > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
              > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
              > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
              >
              > But don't believe me, I'm the one who started this thread. One of the
              > experts will no doubt chime in.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Carey

            • James Wampler
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                How are lungi's better than pants?

              • jamesdwampler
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                  Sorry guys! I sent out a reply through my email, it probably would be
                  better to do here - but what exactly is the benefit of a lungi over
                  pants?
                • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                    Hi everybody!
                    eveybody is talking about the the lungi. Why not use the "malong" of the
                    maaranao tribe of southern Philippines instead. Its a piece of cloth (a tube in
                    fact)very similar to the lungi the only difference is that its 6 to 8 ft long.
                    You can use it as a blanket, towel, kilt, etc. The maranao tribesmen even made
                    a dance of the 101 ways to use the malong. They even use for it
                    sunshade, privacy curtain, temporary hammock for infants, blanket, towel etc.
                    Its very
                    practical and the only difference with the lungi is the length. In the southern
                    philippines it is usually made of
                    cotton although some malong used by the local "royalty" are made of silk,
                    good quality cotton, or indonesian "batik". Anyway just follow the instruction
                    on how to make a lungi but add a few ft. just enough to cover you from head to
                    foot. I once saw a basketball team of maranao tribesmen attired in malong (worn
                    like a kilt) and jersey.One member of the team even took a siesta break by
                    untying his malong and extending it full length to cover his head. All i could
                    say is that the game was "unique" and "interesting." Women can wear the malong
                    too by tying it up at armpit level or tying a knot above the right or left
                    shoulder.

                    Rene

                    Quoting ij santiago <snoopylives1@...>:

                    > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
                    >
                    > On 3/8/07, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite
                    > > big
                    > > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
                    > > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
                    > > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
                    > >
                    > > But don't believe me, I'm the one who started this thread. One of the
                    > > experts will no doubt chime in.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > >
                    > > Carey

                    Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                    Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
                  • Carey Parks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                      You can't change you pants with your pants on, but you can change your pants
                      with your lungi on.

                      This whole thread started when I asked how hammockers would change out of a
                      wet, salty swim suit. I hung my hammock but could not pitch the tarp or
                      stake out the hammock even because the sea breeze was blowing about 15 kts.
                      By evening it would calm down, but I wanted to change into something dry
                      before the sun went down. That's what started the thread. The lungi was
                      suggested as that something dry I should change into. I could just put it
                      on, and slip the suit off the bottom.

                      That said, I expect a lungi would have all the other advantages of a kilt.
                      Check out Risk's page (imrisk.com) for some insight into his experiences
                      with a kilt on the AT.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                        trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
                        might be the ticket!
                        i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
                        thakx...

                        On 3/8/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

                        > ij santiago wrote:
                        > > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
                        >
                        > Well, a lungi could be a good way to start. Few other things require
                        > more elementary sewing than a lungi. Lungis sold in Bangladesh and
                        > other places are sold unsewn.
                        >
                        > I suppose you could staple it together -- but that would add prickliness
                        > and shorten the lungi life-span (rust, for one thing).
                        >
                        > Fabric shops sell fabric glues. You could try gluing the ends together.
                        > If you always have the seam in one of the rabbit ears, then there
                        > would be no stress on the seam.
                        >
                        > CL

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                            Exactly right. I'm fond of Madras Plaid, but any cloth would do (hmmm,
                            silk...). Just check bolt width to make sure it suits you.

                            CL

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                              Sewing machine? Who said anything about a sewing machine? Dental floss
                              and a needle is about my limit! And with a lungi, if you sew crooked,
                              it doesn't matter.

                              CL

                              ij santiago wrote:
                              > trust me cara, you don't want me near a sewing machine.....but the glue
                              > might be the ticket!
                              > i will look for silk. cotton and the at, don't mix....
                              > thakx...
                            • Cara Lin Bridgman
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                                Multi-use -- as others have stated before.

                                Although pants can also be multi-use, the only things they do better
                                than a lungi are save embarrassment if you fall out of a tree or do a
                                Marylin Monroe and reduce entanglement when bushwacking. They are also
                                likely to be warmer when it's cold.

                                Cl