Re: Tying a hammock

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7 7:08 PM
      Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
      kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

      I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
      knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
      bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
      doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
      to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
      pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
      line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
      It is real easy IF you do it right.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

      > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
      > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
      > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
      > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
      > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
      > the knot.
      >
      > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
      >

      > Nate
      > Tripping Program Director

    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8 5:39 AM
        I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
        only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
        my tarp like that for a while.

        Stoikurt

        Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
        kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

        I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
        knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
        bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
        doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
        to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
        pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
        line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
        It is real easy IF you do it right.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

        > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
        > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
        > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
        > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
        > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
        > the knot.
        >
        > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
        >

        > Nate
        > Tripping Program Director

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Nate
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8 6:24 AM

          > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
          > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

          I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
          This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
          it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
          hammock height I get from the knot.