Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007

      > should hold just fine.
      > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
      is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
      webbing.
      > others aren't having that problem.
      >
      > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
      rings, etc.
      > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
      you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
      for a knot master like you ralph.

      > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
      have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
      add a slip knot & that's all it took.
      > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
      as a tug on the slip knot.
      > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
      >
      > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

      Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
      sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
      it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
      should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
    • Nate
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
        For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
        recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
        website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
        support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
        works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
        the knot.

        http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

        Nate
        Tripping Program Director
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
          Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
          kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

          I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
          knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
          bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
          doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
          to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
          pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
          line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
          It is real easy IF you do it right.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

          > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
          > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
          > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
          > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
          > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
          > the knot.
          >
          > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
          >

          > Nate
          > Tripping Program Director

        • Stuhr, Tim
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
            I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
            only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
            my tarp like that for a while.

            Stoikurt

            Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
            kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

            I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
            knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
            bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
            doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
            to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
            pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
            line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
            It is real easy IF you do it right.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

            > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
            > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
            > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
            > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
            > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
            > the knot.
            >
            > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
            >

            > Nate
            > Tripping Program Director

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Nate
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007

              > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
              > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

              I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
              This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
              it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
              hammock height I get from the knot.