Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5 7:33 AM

      > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
      > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
      I'd like
      > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
      >
      > Will this hold?
      >
      > Ralph

      Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6 8:06 AM

        > should hold just fine.
        > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
        is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
        webbing.
        > others aren't having that problem.
        >
        > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
        rings, etc.
        > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
        you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
        for a knot master like you ralph.

        > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
        have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
        add a slip knot & that's all it took.
        > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
        as a tug on the slip knot.
        > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
        >
        > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

        Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
        sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
        it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
        should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
      • Nate
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7 4:33 PM
          For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
          recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
          website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
          support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
          works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
          the knot.

          http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

          Nate
          Tripping Program Director
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7 7:08 PM
            Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
            kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

            I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
            knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
            bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
            doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
            to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
            pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
            line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
            It is real easy IF you do it right.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

            > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
            > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
            > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
            > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
            > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
            > the knot.
            >
            > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
            >

            > Nate
            > Tripping Program Director

          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8 5:39 AM
              I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
              only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
              my tarp like that for a while.

              Stoikurt

              Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
              kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

              I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
              knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
              bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
              doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
              to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
              pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
              line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
              It is real easy IF you do it right.

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

              > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
              > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
              > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
              > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
              > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
              > the knot.
              >
              > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
              >

              > Nate
              > Tripping Program Director

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Nate
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8 6:24 AM

                > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                hammock height I get from the knot.