RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Stand

  • Stuhr, Tim
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 5, 2007
      I've been looking at them real hard lately. I agree with Tim that the
      Vario and the Jobek appear the best. Both are adjustable and break
      down. It appears that the Jobek will break down a little further than
      the Vario without tools. All the joints in the Jobek are held together
      by handscrews (including the removable feet). The feet on the Vario are
      held by a bolt than can be removed with wrenches if you need to pack it
      more compactly. I think I like the Vario better because the cross bars
      for the feet turn down on the ends and I believe it would be a little
      more stable on slightly uneven ground. The Jobek does come with wheels,
      but wheels can be ordered and put on the Vario. I'm ordering the Vario
      today and also ordering a set of wheels from a different dealer.

      Best price I've found for the Vario is $90.81 at
      http://www.homedecorworld.com/

      The wheels and the Jobek can all be ordered from
      http://www.hammock-company.com/detail.asp?id=846&sku=W-KIT&mode=EDIT&qty
      =1

      Tim Stuhr (stoikurt)

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
        I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
        the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
        http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

        Enjoy............
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
          I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold the
          hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
          distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
          place to attach the other rope.

          Rick

          hacktorious wrote:
          > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
          > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
          > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
          >
          > Enjoy............

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
            Would one support and two guylines work?

            Ralph

            On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
            > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
            > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
            >
            > Enjoy............

          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
              Hacktorious,
              I looked at your hammock stand.
              Which gives me an idea of using used metal bed
              frames instead of wood. If we all went to hamocks
              at home most of us would some of these lying around.
              Rogene

              >I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
              > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
              > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
              >
              > Enjoy............
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Steve Bennett
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                awning anchors.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                  I have broken more than one of them trying this when I was experimenting
                  with the one stick method. They always seemed to break at the place
                  where the metal stock was flattened to keep the leash from migrating
                  down the corkscrew.

                  http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                  Rick

                  Steve Bennett wrote:
                  > You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                  > for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                  > awning anchors.
                  >

                  > On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Rick wrote:
                  >
                  >> I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to
                  >> hold the
                  >> hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                  >> distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                  >> place to attach the other rope.
                  >>
                  >> Rick
                  >>
                  >> hacktorious wrote:
                  >>> I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to
                  >> share
                  >>> the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                  >>> http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-
                  >> stand.html
                  >>> Enjoy............
                  >>>

                  >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >>>

                  >> --
                  >> Walk Well!
                  >>
                  >> Rick (Risk)
                  >>
                  >> *********************************
                  >> http://www.imrisk.com
                  >> author of
                  >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                  >> www.wayahpress.com

                  Walk Well!

                  Rick (Risk)

                  *********************************
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                    Good to know,

                    I came across this while searching for screw in anchors:

                    http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?
                    c=2&p=10457&cat=2,43319,33282&ap=2

                    Bit pricey but it looks like it would hold well.

                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                      I made a new one today with 2x4's. It is great. Here are some photos:
                      http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/hammock-stand-with-2x4s.html

                      On 6/22/07, Steve Bennett <steveben@...> wrote:

                      > Good to know,
                      >
                      > I came across this while searching for screw in anchors:
                      >
                      > http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?
                      > c=2&p=10457&cat=2,43319,33282&ap=2
                      >
                      > Bit pricey but it looks like it would hold well.

                    • hacktorious
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                        Sure, but it would probably be unnecessary. My current setup can
                        handle more than the hammock itself.

                        > Would one support and two guylines work?
                        >
                        > Ralph
                        >

                        > On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                        > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                        http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                        > > Enjoy............

                      • hacktorious
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                          Try at 1/2"x16", or larger hex bolt for your stake.

                          > I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold
                          the
                          > hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                          > distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                          > place to attach the other rope.
                          >
                          > Rick
                          >
                          > hacktorious wrote:
                          > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                          > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                          > > Enjoy............
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Walk Well!
                          >
                          > Rick (Risk)

                        • kf7gd
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                            Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.

                            Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                            of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.

                            Thanks, Art.

                            <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                              Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                              strengthening a stake.
                              Maybe it will help.

                              Youngblood

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kf7gd" <kf7gd@...> wrote:

                              > Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.
                              >
                              > Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                              > of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.
                              >
                              > Thanks, Art.
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Anyone else seen this:

                              <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                              > > Kinda cute; but at 8 pounds, I'm not packing it...<g>...
                              > >
                              > > Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
                              > > work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.
                              > >
                              > > J.D.

                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                The corkscrew type will end up breaking. I have been successfully using a
                                16" hex bolt in addition to an 18" piece of rebar. The rebar is used as a
                                safety backup in a different loop. I will post photos later in the week on
                                my blog. I have already posted some.

                                --
                                Scott
                                www.AntiFuel.com

                                On 7/1/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                                > Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                > strengthening a stake.
                                > Maybe it will help.
                                >
                                > Youngblood

                              • kf7gd
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                  Thanks, Ill try some more today after a trip to the hardware store.

                                  I plan to try a piece of plywood with 3 holes for stakes (rebar) and a
                                  central tie point for the guy line. I like your idea better.

                                  Thanks , Art.