Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4 6:34 PM
      should hold just fine.
      on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
      others aren't having that problem.

      you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
      but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

      you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
      after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
      it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

      rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

      Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
      I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
      I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
      to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

      Will this hold?

      Ralph

    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5 7:33 AM

        > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
        > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
        I'd like
        > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
        >
        > Will this hold?
        >
        > Ralph

        Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
      • sebastiantoney
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6 8:06 AM

          > should hold just fine.
          > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
          is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
          webbing.
          > others aren't having that problem.
          >
          > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
          rings, etc.
          > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
          you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
          for a knot master like you ralph.

          > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
          have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
          add a slip knot & that's all it took.
          > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
          as a tug on the slip knot.
          > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
          >
          > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

          Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
          sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
          it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
          should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
        • Nate
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7 4:33 PM
            For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
            recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
            website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
            support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
            works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
            the knot.

            http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

            Nate
            Tripping Program Director
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7 7:08 PM
              Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
              kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

              I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
              knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
              bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
              doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
              to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
              pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
              line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
              It is real easy IF you do it right.

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

              > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
              > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
              > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
              > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
              > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
              > the knot.
              >
              > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
              >

              > Nate
              > Tripping Program Director

            • Stuhr, Tim
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8 5:39 AM
                I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                my tarp like that for a while.

                Stoikurt

                Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                It is real easy IF you do it right.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                > the knot.
                >
                > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                >

                > Nate
                > Tripping Program Director

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Nate
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 8 6:24 AM

                  > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                  > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                  I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                  This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                  it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                  hammock height I get from the knot.