Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4 3:39 PM
      I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
      I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
      to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

      Will this hold?

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4 6:34 PM
        should hold just fine.
        on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
        others aren't having that problem.

        you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
        but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

        you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
        after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
        it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

        rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

        Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
        I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
        I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
        to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

        Will this hold?

        Ralph

      • sebastiantoney
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5 7:33 AM

          > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
          > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
          I'd like
          > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
          >
          > Will this hold?
          >
          > Ralph

          Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6 8:06 AM

            > should hold just fine.
            > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
            is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
            webbing.
            > others aren't having that problem.
            >
            > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
            rings, etc.
            > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
            you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
            for a knot master like you ralph.

            > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
            have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
            add a slip knot & that's all it took.
            > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
            as a tug on the slip knot.
            > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
            >
            > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

            Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
            sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
            it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
            should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
          • Nate
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7 4:33 PM
              For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
              recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
              website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
              support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
              works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
              the knot.

              http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

              Nate
              Tripping Program Director
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7 7:08 PM
                Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                It is real easy IF you do it right.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                > the knot.
                >
                > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                >

                > Nate
                > Tripping Program Director

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 8 5:39 AM
                  I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                  only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                  my tarp like that for a while.

                  Stoikurt

                  Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                  kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                  I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                  knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                  bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                  doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                  to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                  pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                  line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                  It is real easy IF you do it right.

                  Youngblood

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                  > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                  > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                  > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                  > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                  > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                  > the knot.
                  >
                  > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                  >

                  > Nate
                  > Tripping Program Director

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Nate
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 8 6:24 AM

                    > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                    > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                    I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                    This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                    it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                    hammock height I get from the knot.