Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

  • moabrocks
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
      Thanks for the link ... I think I am going to go with the ring buckle
      support system. Looks to be pretty easy to adjust and a lot stronger.

      Thanks

      > check out this thread on ring buckle supports.
      > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
      > there is also another thread about using the nightize figure 9
      gizmo on a tarp line, but i believe it would soon damage a hammock
      support w/ the weight that's put on it. ...tim

      > moabrocks <moabrocks@...> wrote:
      > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
      > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
      this
      > people were using.
      >
      > - B

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
        I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
        I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
        to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

        Will this hold?

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
          should hold just fine.
          on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
          others aren't having that problem.

          you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
          but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

          you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
          after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
          it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

          rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
          I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
          I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
          to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

          Will this hold?

          Ralph

        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007

            > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
            > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
            I'd like
            > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
            >
            > Will this hold?
            >
            > Ralph

            Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
          • sebastiantoney
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007

              > should hold just fine.
              > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
              is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
              webbing.
              > others aren't having that problem.
              >
              > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
              rings, etc.
              > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
              you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
              for a knot master like you ralph.

              > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
              have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
              add a slip knot & that's all it took.
              > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
              as a tug on the slip knot.
              > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
              >
              > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

              Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
              sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
              it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
              should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
            • Nate
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                the knot.

                http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

                Nate
                Tripping Program Director
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                  kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                  I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                  knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                  bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                  doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                  to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                  pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                  line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                  It is real easy IF you do it right.

                  Youngblood

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                  > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                  > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                  > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                  > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                  > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                  > the knot.
                  >
                  > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                  >

                  > Nate
                  > Tripping Program Director

                • Stuhr, Tim
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
                    I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                    only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                    my tarp like that for a while.

                    Stoikurt

                    Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                    kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                    I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                    knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                    bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                    doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                    to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                    pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                    line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                    It is real easy IF you do it right.

                    Youngblood

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                    > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                    > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                    > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                    > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                    > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                    > the knot.
                    >
                    > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                    >

                    > Nate
                    > Tripping Program Director

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Nate
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007

                      > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                      > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                      I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                      This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                      it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                      hammock height I get from the knot.