Re: [Hammock Camping] Knotless Hammock

  • moabrocks
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
      http://www.niteize.com/ Under hardware

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
      wrote:

      > Is there a URL for this?
      > Knotless Hammock
      >

      > > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
      > > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
      this
      > > people were using.
      > >
      > > - B
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • dt51357
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
        That's a clever little device. But even the large Nite Ize lists its
        load limit as 150 pounds, which is not strong enough.

        Dean
      • moabrocks
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
          Thanks for the link ... I think I am going to go with the ring buckle
          support system. Looks to be pretty easy to adjust and a lot stronger.

          Thanks

          > check out this thread on ring buckle supports.
          > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
          > there is also another thread about using the nightize figure 9
          gizmo on a tarp line, but i believe it would soon damage a hammock
          support w/ the weight that's put on it. ...tim

          > moabrocks <moabrocks@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
          > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
          this
          > people were using.
          >
          > - B

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
            I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
            I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
            to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

            Will this hold?

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
              should hold just fine.
              on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
              others aren't having that problem.

              you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
              but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

              you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
              after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
              it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

              rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

              Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
              I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
              I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
              to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

              Will this hold?

              Ralph

            • sebastiantoney
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007

                > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
                I'd like
                > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
                >
                > Will this hold?
                >
                > Ralph

                Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
              • sebastiantoney
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007

                  > should hold just fine.
                  > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
                  is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
                  webbing.
                  > others aren't having that problem.
                  >
                  > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
                  rings, etc.
                  > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
                  you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
                  for a knot master like you ralph.

                  > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
                  have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
                  add a slip knot & that's all it took.
                  > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
                  as a tug on the slip knot.
                  > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
                  >
                  > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

                  Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
                  sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
                  it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
                  should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
                • Nate
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                    For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                    recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                    website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                    support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                    works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                    the knot.

                    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

                    Nate
                    Tripping Program Director
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                      Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                      kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                      I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                      knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                      bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                      doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                      to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                      pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                      line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                      It is real easy IF you do it right.

                      Youngblood

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                      > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                      > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                      > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                      > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                      > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                      > the knot.
                      >
                      > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                      >

                      > Nate
                      > Tripping Program Director

                    • Stuhr, Tim
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
                        I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                        only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                        my tarp like that for a while.

                        Stoikurt

                        Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                        kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                        I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                        knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                        bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                        doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                        to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                        pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                        line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                        It is real easy IF you do it right.

                        Youngblood

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                        > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                        > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                        > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                        > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                        > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                        > the knot.
                        >
                        > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                        >

                        > Nate
                        > Tripping Program Director

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Nate
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007

                          > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                          > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                          I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                          This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                          it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                          hammock height I get from the knot.