Re: Knotless Hammock

  • Nate
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
      I use a clip in system for hanging. Pics are posted under Nates
      Hammock. I wrap climbing webbing around the tree for an anchor. I
      have pre tied clip in points tied in the hammock rope. I clip in with
      an old aluminum climbing biner. It doesnt take too long to set up and
      with 12ft. of webbing for each end plus the hammock rope, I can hang
      almost anywhere.
    • moabrocks
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
        http://www.niteize.com/ Under hardware

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
        wrote:

        > Is there a URL for this?
        > Knotless Hammock
        >

        > > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
        > > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
        this
        > > people were using.
        > >
        > > - B
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dt51357
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
          That's a clever little device. But even the large Nite Ize lists its
          load limit as 150 pounds, which is not strong enough.

          Dean
        • moabrocks
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
            Thanks for the link ... I think I am going to go with the ring buckle
            support system. Looks to be pretty easy to adjust and a lot stronger.

            Thanks

            > check out this thread on ring buckle supports.
            > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
            > there is also another thread about using the nightize figure 9
            gizmo on a tarp line, but i believe it would soon damage a hammock
            support w/ the weight that's put on it. ...tim

            > moabrocks <moabrocks@...> wrote:
            > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
            > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
            this
            > people were using.
            >
            > - B

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
              I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
              I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
              to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

              Will this hold?

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                should hold just fine.
                on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
                others aren't having that problem.

                you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
                but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

                you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
                after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
                it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

                rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

                Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
                to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

                Will this hold?

                Ralph

              • sebastiantoney
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007

                  > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                  > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
                  I'd like
                  > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
                  >
                  > Will this hold?
                  >
                  > Ralph

                  Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
                • sebastiantoney
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007

                    > should hold just fine.
                    > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
                    is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
                    webbing.
                    > others aren't having that problem.
                    >
                    > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
                    rings, etc.
                    > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
                    you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
                    for a knot master like you ralph.

                    > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
                    have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
                    add a slip knot & that's all it took.
                    > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
                    as a tug on the slip knot.
                    > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
                    >
                    > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

                    Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
                    sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
                    it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
                    should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
                  • Nate
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                      For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                      recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                      website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                      support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                      works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                      the knot.

                      http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

                      Nate
                      Tripping Program Director
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                        kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                        I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                        knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                        bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                        doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                        to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                        pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                        line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                        It is real easy IF you do it right.

                        Youngblood

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                        > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                        > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                        > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                        > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                        > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                        > the knot.
                        >
                        > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                        >

                        > Nate
                        > Tripping Program Director

                      • Stuhr, Tim
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
                          I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                          only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                          my tarp like that for a while.

                          Stoikurt

                          Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                          kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                          I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                          knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                          bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                          doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                          to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                          pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                          line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                          It is real easy IF you do it right.

                          Youngblood

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                          > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                          > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                          > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                          > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                          > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                          > the knot.
                          >
                          > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                          >

                          > Nate
                          > Tripping Program Director

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Nate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007

                            > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                            > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                            I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                            This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                            it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                            hammock height I get from the knot.