Knotless Hammock

  • moabrocks
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2007
      Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
      secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like this
      people were using.

      - B
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
        check out this thread on ring buckle supports.
        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
        there is also another thread about using the nightize figure 9 gizmo on a tarp line, but i believe it would soon damage a hammock support w/ the weight that's put on it. ...tim

        moabrocks <moabrocks@...> wrote:
        Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
        secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like this
        people were using.

        - B

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
          Is there a URL for this?
          Knotless Hammock

          > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
          > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like this
          > people were using.
          >
          > - B
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Nate
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
            I use a clip in system for hanging. Pics are posted under Nates
            Hammock. I wrap climbing webbing around the tree for an anchor. I
            have pre tied clip in points tied in the hammock rope. I clip in with
            an old aluminum climbing biner. It doesnt take too long to set up and
            with 12ft. of webbing for each end plus the hammock rope, I can hang
            almost anywhere.
          • moabrocks
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
              http://www.niteize.com/ Under hardware

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
              wrote:

              > Is there a URL for this?
              > Knotless Hammock
              >

              > > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
              > > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
              this
              > > people were using.
              > >
              > > - B
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dt51357
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                That's a clever little device. But even the large Nite Ize lists its
                load limit as 150 pounds, which is not strong enough.

                Dean
              • moabrocks
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                  Thanks for the link ... I think I am going to go with the ring buckle
                  support system. Looks to be pretty easy to adjust and a lot stronger.

                  Thanks

                  > check out this thread on ring buckle supports.
                  > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
                  > there is also another thread about using the nightize figure 9
                  gizmo on a tarp line, but i believe it would soon damage a hammock
                  support w/ the weight that's put on it. ...tim

                  > moabrocks <moabrocks@...> wrote:
                  > Has anyone used a Nite Ize rope tightener or something similar to
                  > secure your hammock? Just wondering if there was something like
                  this
                  > people were using.
                  >
                  > - B

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                    I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                    I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
                    to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

                    Will this hold?

                    Ralph

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                      should hold just fine.
                      on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the webbing.
                      others aren't having that problem.

                      you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the rings, etc.
                      but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too) you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially for a knot master like you ralph.

                      you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is add a slip knot & that's all it took.
                      after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple as a tug on the slip knot.
                      it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.

                      rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

                      Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                      I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                      I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So I'd like
                      to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.

                      Will this hold?

                      Ralph

                    • sebastiantoney
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007

                        > I use a strap on the hammock and a separate strap for the tree.
                        > I don't sew (and my wife won't do heavy straps on her machine) So
                        I'd like
                        > to do two straps into the double ring, one from each side.
                        >
                        > Will this hold?
                        >
                        > Ralph

                        Yeah, the double ring support system is getting pretty popular these days.
                      • sebastiantoney
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007

                          > should hold just fine.
                          > on the same thread that i gave a link to in an earlier post, there
                          is talk about how sometimes people have their webbing slip through the
                          webbing.
                          > others aren't having that problem.
                          >
                          > you'll find talk about different methods to attach rope to the
                          rings, etc.
                          > but if you read through that thread (there are pictures too)
                          you'll find that you can use rings w/o sewing, no prob... especially
                          for a knot master like you ralph.

                          > you'll also see in one of my posts that even though i didn't
                          have the right webbing, etc & was getting slippage, all i had to do is
                          add a slip knot & that's all it took.
                          > after that, she's not sliping & untying to readjust is as simple
                          as a tug on the slip knot.
                          > it's the easiest adjustable system i've used yet.
                          >
                          > rat was the first one i saw using it. ...tim

                          Well, you need to pay attention to how you put the webbing in make
                          sure you put the webbing in over the top then back through. If you put
                          it in underside first it doesn't get as much friction. And yes, you
                          should add somekind of double overhand knot or some other stop anyway.
                        • Nate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                            For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                            recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                            website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                            support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                            works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                            the knot.

                            http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

                            Nate
                            Tripping Program Director
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                              Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                              kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                              I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                              knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                              bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                              doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                              to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                              pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                              line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                              It is real easy IF you do it right.

                              Youngblood

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                              > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                              > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                              > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                              > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                              > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                              > the knot.
                              >
                              > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                              >

                              > Nate
                              > Tripping Program Director

                            • Stuhr, Tim
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
                                I do both half-hitches as slippery half-hitches. It holds well and you
                                only have to pull on one cord to release it all. I've been using it on
                                my tarp like that for a while.

                                Stoikurt

                                Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                                kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                                I use a slippery bowline alot and sometimes double up the rope in the
                                knot when I have a lot extra rope. When it is done there is this
                                bunch of rope in a knot, with a single line, a looped line and a
                                doubled looped line exiting it. I call it a combination knot because
                                to release it you have to know what to pull on and what order to
                                pull... you have to pull the looped line to clear the double looped
                                line and then the single line to clear the looped line to release it.
                                It is real easy IF you do it right.

                                Youngblood

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

                                > For the last year or so I used a clip in system to hang my hammock. I
                                > recently came across a simple knot on the www.mosquitohammock.com
                                > website. I used 1/2inch tubular climbing webbing for my hammock
                                > support "ropes." This was webbing I was using as tree straps. It
                                > works well! I have 12ft. of webbing on each end. Here is a link to
                                > the knot.
                                >
                                > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
                                >

                                > Nate
                                > Tripping Program Director

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Nate
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007

                                  > Nate, the first half hitch being slippery and the second one not seems
                                  > kind of strange to me. Does it release easily?

                                  I just started using this knot, and so far it seems to release easy.
                                  This whole knot reminds me of a trucker's hitch. So far I am liking
                                  it because of the ease of release and the flexibility in adjusting the
                                  hammock height I get from the knot.