Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Stand

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2007
      Suggestion #1. Install a strong eye-bolt somewhere convenient at about
      neck height on the RV. Park the RV so that the eye-bolt is about 12
      feet away from a tree, telephone pole, or something strong. Now you
      don't have to find trees in the right spacing, you create the spacing.

      I have an inexpensive stand which several people have built and some
      have improved upon. Ed Speer has directions for a steel pipe stand
      which I would recommend for use in a traveling RV since it takes up less
      space when storing.

      My page is
      http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

      Risk

      hallieandmarie wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > I'm trying to find a good place to get a hammock stand.
      >
      > I have a hammock that I bought in Mexico that is great, however, it
      > doesn't have the wood spreader bars and requires a LONG span to use it
      > without touching the ground.
      >
      > Recently I found a used hammock with the wood spreader bars at a
      > Habitat for Humanity store. I had to buy it!
      >
      > I'm going to take my hammocks with me on my RV trip to nap in and
      > sometimes sleep under the stars. I'm sure I won't always find
      > the "right" trees to hang my hammck from and I also don't want to
      > injure the bark. I've seen hammock stands for sale but I don't want
      > to spend an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?
      >
      > -Marie

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)

      *********************************
      http://www.imrisk.com
      author of
      A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      www.wayahpress.com
      *********************************
    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 5, 2007
        I've been looking at them real hard lately. I agree with Tim that the
        Vario and the Jobek appear the best. Both are adjustable and break
        down. It appears that the Jobek will break down a little further than
        the Vario without tools. All the joints in the Jobek are held together
        by handscrews (including the removable feet). The feet on the Vario are
        held by a bolt than can be removed with wrenches if you need to pack it
        more compactly. I think I like the Vario better because the cross bars
        for the feet turn down on the ends and I believe it would be a little
        more stable on slightly uneven ground. The Jobek does come with wheels,
        but wheels can be ordered and put on the Vario. I'm ordering the Vario
        today and also ordering a set of wheels from a different dealer.

        Best price I've found for the Vario is $90.81 at
        http://www.homedecorworld.com/

        The wheels and the Jobek can all be ordered from
        http://www.hammock-company.com/detail.asp?id=846&sku=W-KIT&mode=EDIT&qty
        =1

        Tim Stuhr (stoikurt)

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
          I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
          the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

          Enjoy............
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
            I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold the
            hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
            distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
            place to attach the other rope.

            Rick

            hacktorious wrote:
            > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
            > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
            > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
            >
            > Enjoy............

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
              Would one support and two guylines work?

              Ralph

              On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

              > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
              > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
              > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
              >
              > Enjoy............

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                Hacktorious,
                I looked at your hammock stand.
                Which gives me an idea of using used metal bed
                frames instead of wood. If we all went to hamocks
                at home most of us would some of these lying around.
                Rogene

                >I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
                >
                > Enjoy............
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Steve Bennett
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                  You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                  for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                  awning anchors.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                    I have broken more than one of them trying this when I was experimenting
                    with the one stick method. They always seemed to break at the place
                    where the metal stock was flattened to keep the leash from migrating
                    down the corkscrew.

                    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                    Rick

                    Steve Bennett wrote:
                    > You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                    > for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                    > awning anchors.
                    >

                    > On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Rick wrote:
                    >
                    >> I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to
                    >> hold the
                    >> hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                    >> distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                    >> place to attach the other rope.
                    >>
                    >> Rick
                    >>
                    >> hacktorious wrote:
                    >>> I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to
                    >> share
                    >>> the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                    >>> http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-
                    >> stand.html
                    >>> Enjoy............
                    >>>

                    >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>>

                    >> --
                    >> Walk Well!
                    >>
                    >> Rick (Risk)
                    >>
                    >> *********************************
                    >> http://www.imrisk.com
                    >> author of
                    >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                    >> www.wayahpress.com

                    Walk Well!

                    Rick (Risk)

                    *********************************
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                      Good to know,

                      I came across this while searching for screw in anchors:

                      http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?
                      c=2&p=10457&cat=2,43319,33282&ap=2

                      Bit pricey but it looks like it would hold well.

                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                        I made a new one today with 2x4's. It is great. Here are some photos:
                        http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/hammock-stand-with-2x4s.html

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                          Sure, but it would probably be unnecessary. My current setup can
                          handle more than the hammock itself.

                          > Would one support and two guylines work?
                          >
                          > Ralph
                          >

                          > On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                          > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                          > > Enjoy............

                        • hacktorious
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                            Try at 1/2"x16", or larger hex bolt for your stake.

                            > I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold
                            the
                            > hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                            > distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                            > place to attach the other rope.
                            >
                            > Rick
                            >
                            > hacktorious wrote:
                            > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                            > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                            > > Enjoy............
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Walk Well!
                            >
                            > Rick (Risk)

                          • kf7gd
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                              Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.

                              Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                              of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.

                              Thanks, Art.

                              <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                strengthening a stake.
                                Maybe it will help.

                                Youngblood

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kf7gd" <kf7gd@...> wrote:

                                > Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.
                                >
                                > Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                                > of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.
                                >
                                > Thanks, Art.
                                >

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Anyone else seen this:

                                <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                                > > Kinda cute; but at 8 pounds, I'm not packing it...<g>...
                                > >
                                > > Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
                                > > work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.
                                > >
                                > > J.D.

                              • Scott
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                  The corkscrew type will end up breaking. I have been successfully using a
                                  16" hex bolt in addition to an 18" piece of rebar. The rebar is used as a
                                  safety backup in a different loop. I will post photos later in the week on
                                  my blog. I have already posted some.

                                  --
                                  Scott
                                  www.AntiFuel.com

                                  On 7/1/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                                  > Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                  > strengthening a stake.
                                  > Maybe it will help.
                                  >
                                  > Youngblood

                                • kf7gd
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                    Thanks, Ill try some more today after a trip to the hardware store.

                                    I plan to try a piece of plywood with 3 holes for stakes (rebar) and a
                                    central tie point for the guy line. I like your idea better.

                                    Thanks , Art.