Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Stand

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3 5:28 AM
      here's two hammock stands that others have & like. Vario & Jobek.
      try googling those names w/ hammock stand & you should find their web site. ..tim

      hallieandmarie <hallieandmarie@...> wrote:
      Hello All,

      I'm trying to find a good place to get a hammock stand.

      I have a hammock that I bought in Mexico that is great, however, it
      doesn't have the wood spreader bars and requires a LONG span to use it
      without touching the ground.

      Recently I found a used hammock with the wood spreader bars at a
      Habitat for Humanity store. I had to buy it!

      I'm going to take my hammocks with me on my RV trip to nap in and
      sometimes sleep under the stars. I'm sure I won't always find
      the "right" trees to hang my hammck from and I also don't want to
      injure the bark. I've seen hammock stands for sale but I don't want
      to spend an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?

      -Marie

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3 9:12 AM
        Suggestion #1. Install a strong eye-bolt somewhere convenient at about
        neck height on the RV. Park the RV so that the eye-bolt is about 12
        feet away from a tree, telephone pole, or something strong. Now you
        don't have to find trees in the right spacing, you create the spacing.

        I have an inexpensive stand which several people have built and some
        have improved upon. Ed Speer has directions for a steel pipe stand
        which I would recommend for use in a traveling RV since it takes up less
        space when storing.

        My page is
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

        Risk

        hallieandmarie wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I'm trying to find a good place to get a hammock stand.
        >
        > I have a hammock that I bought in Mexico that is great, however, it
        > doesn't have the wood spreader bars and requires a LONG span to use it
        > without touching the ground.
        >
        > Recently I found a used hammock with the wood spreader bars at a
        > Habitat for Humanity store. I had to buy it!
        >
        > I'm going to take my hammocks with me on my RV trip to nap in and
        > sometimes sleep under the stars. I'm sure I won't always find
        > the "right" trees to hang my hammck from and I also don't want to
        > injure the bark. I've seen hammock stands for sale but I don't want
        > to spend an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?
        >
        > -Marie

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 5 5:51 AM
          I've been looking at them real hard lately. I agree with Tim that the
          Vario and the Jobek appear the best. Both are adjustable and break
          down. It appears that the Jobek will break down a little further than
          the Vario without tools. All the joints in the Jobek are held together
          by handscrews (including the removable feet). The feet on the Vario are
          held by a bolt than can be removed with wrenches if you need to pack it
          more compactly. I think I like the Vario better because the cross bars
          for the feet turn down on the ends and I believe it would be a little
          more stable on slightly uneven ground. The Jobek does come with wheels,
          but wheels can be ordered and put on the Vario. I'm ordering the Vario
          today and also ordering a set of wheels from a different dealer.

          Best price I've found for the Vario is $90.81 at
          http://www.homedecorworld.com/

          The wheels and the Jobek can all be ordered from
          http://www.hammock-company.com/detail.asp?id=846&sku=W-KIT&mode=EDIT&qty
          =1

          Tim Stuhr (stoikurt)

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
            I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
            the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

            Enjoy............
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
              I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold the
              hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
              distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
              place to attach the other rope.

              Rick

              hacktorious wrote:
              > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
              > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
              > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
              >
              > Enjoy............

              Walk Well!

              Rick (Risk)

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                Would one support and two guylines work?

                Ralph

                On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
                >
                > Enjoy............

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                  Hacktorious,
                  I looked at your hammock stand.
                  Which gives me an idea of using used metal bed
                  frames instead of wood. If we all went to hamocks
                  at home most of us would some of these lying around.
                  Rogene

                  >I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                  > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                  > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
                  >
                  > Enjoy............
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Steve Bennett
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                    You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                    for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                    awning anchors.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                      I have broken more than one of them trying this when I was experimenting
                      with the one stick method. They always seemed to break at the place
                      where the metal stock was flattened to keep the leash from migrating
                      down the corkscrew.

                      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                      Rick

                      Steve Bennett wrote:
                      > You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                      > for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                      > awning anchors.
                      >

                      > On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Rick wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to
                      >> hold the
                      >> hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                      >> distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                      >> place to attach the other rope.
                      >>
                      >> Rick
                      >>
                      >> hacktorious wrote:
                      >>> I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to
                      >> share
                      >>> the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                      >>> http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-
                      >> stand.html
                      >>> Enjoy............
                      >>>

                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>>

                      >> --
                      >> Walk Well!
                      >>
                      >> Rick (Risk)
                      >>
                      >> *********************************
                      >> http://www.imrisk.com
                      >> author of
                      >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                      >> www.wayahpress.com

                      Walk Well!

                      Rick (Risk)

                      *********************************
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                        Good to know,

                        I came across this while searching for screw in anchors:

                        http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?
                        c=2&p=10457&cat=2,43319,33282&ap=2

                        Bit pricey but it looks like it would hold well.

                      • Scott
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                          I made a new one today with 2x4's. It is great. Here are some photos:
                          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/hammock-stand-with-2x4s.html

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                            Sure, but it would probably be unnecessary. My current setup can
                            handle more than the hammock itself.

                            > Would one support and two guylines work?
                            >
                            > Ralph
                            >

                            > On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                            > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                            > > Enjoy............

                          • hacktorious
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                              Try at 1/2"x16", or larger hex bolt for your stake.

                              > I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold
                              the
                              > hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                              > distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                              > place to attach the other rope.
                              >
                              > Rick
                              >
                              > hacktorious wrote:
                              > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                              > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                              http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                              > > Enjoy............
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Walk Well!
                              >
                              > Rick (Risk)

                            • kf7gd
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.

                                Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                                of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.

                                Thanks, Art.

                                <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                  Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                  strengthening a stake.
                                  Maybe it will help.

                                  Youngblood

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kf7gd" <kf7gd@...> wrote:

                                  > Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.
                                  >
                                  > Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                                  > of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, Art.
                                  >

                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyone else seen this:

                                  <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                                  > > Kinda cute; but at 8 pounds, I'm not packing it...<g>...
                                  > >
                                  > > Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
                                  > > work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.
                                  > >
                                  > > J.D.

                                • Scott
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                    The corkscrew type will end up breaking. I have been successfully using a
                                    16" hex bolt in addition to an 18" piece of rebar. The rebar is used as a
                                    safety backup in a different loop. I will post photos later in the week on
                                    my blog. I have already posted some.

                                    --
                                    Scott
                                    www.AntiFuel.com

                                    On 7/1/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                                    > Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                    > strengthening a stake.
                                    > Maybe it will help.
                                    >
                                    > Youngblood

                                  • kf7gd
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                      Thanks, Ill try some more today after a trip to the hardware store.

                                      I plan to try a piece of plywood with 3 holes for stakes (rebar) and a
                                      central tie point for the guy line. I like your idea better.

                                      Thanks , Art.