Re: [Hammock Camping] Beeswax

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2007
      Of course once I opened up the package of beeswax it smelt like honey and
      started me wondering... Would burning beeswax or beeswax candle attract
      bears?? Does anyone have any insight into this one? I'ld like to hear it
      before the spring...

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      YES !

      If you can smell it, so can a bear, and from a lot further away. :]

      Ralph Oborn

    • ejakes123
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:

        > I'm working on making as eco-friendly camping supplies as possible
        and am currently working with used coffee grounds and beeswax to make
        a fire starter/heat source for a small army surplus metal stove. I'm
        trying to get something that will boil tea while I'm using my other
        stove to cook dinner. Of course once I opened up the package of
        beeswax it smelt like honey and started me wondering... Would burning
        beeswax or beeswax candle attract bears?? Does anyone have any
        insight into this one? I'ld like to hear it before the spring...

        > Enjoy,
        >
        > Ian
        >

        > ---------------------------------

        It's my understanding that beeswax candles do attrack bears. I've
        heard of hunters using them as a lure. Seems kinda risky to me. By
        the way,why coffee grounds?

        Best,
        Eric

      • Jack Rowe
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2007
          Perhaps only marginally related, waterproof/breathable garments used to be made by soaking cotton material in beeswax, then boiling in water for a while to remove enough of the wax to make the fabric breathe some...

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2007
            Do any bears besides Winnie eat honey? I watch hunting on TV a lot and bears
            are usually baited with beaver or other carcasses in some state of
            putrefaction. They are opportunists to the max, and eat whatever is EASILY
            available. I don't think honey is the easiest thing to get in the mind of a
            bear. What's more, the mixture could be stored hanging away from the
            campsite. Bears aren't going to be attracted to it while it's burning.

            On 2/28/07, Jack Rowe <jackrowe@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps only marginally related, waterproof/breathable garments used to
            > be made by soaking cotton material in beeswax, then boiling in water for a
            > while to remove enough of the wax to make the fabric breathe some...

          • ian toal
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2007
              Eric,

              I've done some research on alternatives to wood chips and found that coffee grounds actually burn hotter than wood. Beeswax burns longer than paraffin wax does so between the two I figured I had a good combination.

              I went on a 15 mile back country ski yesterday afternoon and stopped after 7 miles for some food and tea. I brought .6 OZ of my latest batch with me and it boiled 3/4 of a liter of water in 5 minutes. It definitely works well, with minimal soot, using a small surplus army camp stove. The flame lasted another minute or two after the teas was ready, so it was nice to warm my hands a bit. It was above freezing so I was looking over my shoulder a few times hoping not to see anything big and black ambling down the trail.

              I read the other entry about soaking cotton in beeswax for waterproofing. Maybe it's safe to use if that is the case. With what I cook while camping I'm likely to attract bears with that anyway. But if any one else has some input please let me know.

              Enjoy,

              Ian

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2007
                Ralph,

                Yeah that is a regretfully good point...

                I'm just not sure if they'ld come for the wax, either way I'll switch to something else before spring if I can't find out for sure.

                Enjoy,

                Ian

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Well the beeswax clothing is at least of historical interest, if in bear country (which I am) and trying this one I'd accept the guilt and use paraffin. Old-timers might have considered themselves lucky, shot the bear, dried it and ate it.

                  My current thought on this one is trying a similar thing with silicone diluted w/ mineral spirits...put on enough (spray?) to make the fabric very uninterested in water, but not enough to fill pores. I'll report if/when I actually get around to trying it.

                  I don't think The Bad Place (W-M, of course) sells much ripstop as I just got 16 yds from their $1/yd table.

                • Randy
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:

                    > I'm working on making as eco-friendly camping supplies as possible
                    and am currently working with used coffee grounds and beeswax to make
                    a fire starter/heat source for a small army surplus metal stove. I'm
                    trying to get something that will boil tea while I'm using my other
                    stove to cook dinner. Of course once I opened up the package of
                    beeswax it smelt like honey and started me wondering... Would burning
                    beeswax or beeswax candle attract bears?? Does anyone have any
                    insight into this one? I'ld like to hear it before the spring...

                    > Enjoy,
                    >
                    > Ian

                    What are you currently using as a fire starter now and how are coffee
                    grounds and beeswax anymore eco-friendly?

                    I think that wood is the most eco-friendly thing you can burn on the
                    trail and it's readily available. Burning wood has a net neutral
                    effect on C02, it helps clean up the forest floor and helps eliminate
                    fire hazards. Why not use it.

                  • ian toal
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 26, 2007
                      Hey Randy,

                      I started the post in the winter when it was a little tough to get any wood. I didn't want to use any petroleum based fire starters for a number of reasons, and up till now had been using a camping stove. I was looking for something else. I went with coffee grounds and beeswax because they were a chemical free alternative for the winter. They burn very clean too with hardly any residue and the smoke didn't bother my eyes.

                      Now that spring is here, I was just, and I mean 15 minutes ago, trying out a wood burning stove I made using two tin cans. It needs some modifications but if I can get it to boil water then I'll be using it this Spring through Fall. I agree with using downed branches and twigs and certainly love the smell of a nice fire. It's a little tough in the rain though to get them going, I tried once on a morning hike to cook breakfast when it had rained the night before. After two hours I was cold, smoked out and didn't keep down what I had heated up to luke warm and forced myself to eat. It wasn't one of my better trips.

                      Thanks for the input and Enjoy,

                      Ian

                      Randy <randyacton@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:

                      > I'm working on making as eco-friendly camping supplies as possible
                      and am currently working with used coffee grounds and beeswax to make
                      a fire starter/heat source for a small army surplus metal stove. I'm
                      trying to get something that will boil tea while I'm using my other
                      stove to cook dinner. Of course once I opened up the package of
                      beeswax it smelt like honey and started me wondering... Would burning
                      beeswax or beeswax candle attract bears?? Does anyone have any
                      insight into this one? I'ld like to hear it before the spring...

                      > Enjoy,
                      >
                      > Ian

                      What are you currently using as a fire starter now and how are coffee
                      grounds and beeswax anymore eco-friendly?

                      I think that wood is the most eco-friendly thing you can burn on the
                      trail and it's readily available. Burning wood has a net neutral
                      effect on C02, it helps clean up the forest floor and helps eliminate
                      fire hazards. Why not use it.

                    • Eric Sandberg
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                        I'm curious. How did you make the beeswax/coffee grounds fire
                        starter. Burning for 5 min on .6 oz sounds pretty good to me. Can you
                        give us a recipie?
                      • hacktorious
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                          "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"

                          NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
                          wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
                          reference for this information? Thanks.
                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                            On 4/6/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                            > "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"
                            >
                            > NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
                            > wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
                            > reference for this information? Thanks.

                            The idea is that wood in the forest (especially dead downed forest litter)
                            will decompose soon anyway and release most of it's carbon as CO2 into the
                            environment. Unlike fossil fuels that would have stayed intact in the ground
                            from geological times (Hence: fossil fuels).

                            Which is why I am skeptical about the benefit of planting trees to tie up
                            carbon, within a few decades any carbon pulled from the atmosphere will be
                            returned anyway.

                            Ralph Oborn

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                              Getting off topic, but I learned about the long-term carbon cycle
                              (calcium carbonate or limestone) from Bill Bryson's "A History of Nearly
                              Everything". As you know Bryson also wrote Walk in the Woods, in which
                              he suffered because he had not discovered lightweight hiking, of which
                              Hammock Camping is a descendant.

                              Limestone eventually gets subducted into the Earth's magma, and the
                              carbon is released as CO2, but it stays in a tied up form for a LONG
                              time, unlike the carbon in vegetation.

                              Rick

                              Ralph Oborn wrote:
                              > On 4/6/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                              >> "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"
                              >>
                              >> NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
                              >> wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
                              >> reference for this information? Thanks.
                              >

                              > The idea is that wood in the forest (especially dead downed forest litter)
                              > will decompose soon anyway and release most of it's carbon as CO2 into the
                              > environment. Unlike fossil fuels that would have stayed intact in the ground
                              > from geological times (Hence: fossil fuels).
                              >
                              > Which is why I am skeptical about the benefit of planting trees to tie up
                              > carbon, within a few decades any carbon pulled from the atmosphere will be
                              > returned anyway.
                              >
                              > Ralph Oborn

                              Walk Well!

                              Rick (Risk)

                              *********************************
                              http://www.imrisk.com
                              author of
                              A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                              www.wayahpress.com
                              *********************************
                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                                That is an interesting concept, I have never thought of it that way.

                                As far as planting trees, I think it is a good idea because it will help
                                make up for all the loss due to deforestation. This is a tremendous amount
                                of trees. Of course the combination of more trees with the number of
                                existing automobiles could potentially make things worse.

                                --
                                Scott
                                www.AntiFuel.com

                                On 4/6/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                                > Getting off topic, but I learned about the long-term carbon cycle
                                > (calcium carbonate or limestone) from Bill Bryson's "A History of Nearly
                                > Everything". As you know Bryson also wrote Walk in the Woods, in which
                                > he suffered because he had not discovered lightweight hiking, of which
                                > Hammock Camping is a descendant.
                                >
                                > Limestone eventually gets subducted into the Earth's magma, and the
                                > carbon is released as CO2, but it stays in a tied up form for a LONG
                                > time, unlike the carbon in vegetation.
                                >
                                > Rick
                                >
                                > Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                > > On 4/6/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@... <hacktorious%40gmail.com>>
                                > wrote:
                                > >> "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"
                                > >>
                                > >> NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
                                > >> wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
                                > >> reference for this information? Thanks.
                                > >

                                > > The idea is that wood in the forest (especially dead downed forest
                                > litter)
                                > > will decompose soon anyway and release most of it's carbon as CO2 into
                                > the
                                > > environment. Unlike fossil fuels that would have stayed intact in the
                                > ground
                                > > from geological times (Hence: fossil fuels).
                                > >
                                > > Which is why I am skeptical about the benefit of planting trees to tie
                                > up
                                > > carbon, within a few decades any carbon pulled from the atmosphere will
                                > be
                                > > returned anyway.
                                > >
                                > > Ralph Oborn

                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                                  On 4/6/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                                  > Getting off topic, but I learned about the long-term carbon cycle
                                  > (calcium carbonate or limestone) from Bill Bryson's "A History of Nearly
                                  > Everything". As you know Bryson also wrote Walk in the Woods, in which
                                  > he suffered because he had not discovered lightweight hiking, of which
                                  > Hammock Camping is a descendant.
                                  >
                                  > Limestone eventually gets subducted into the Earth's magma, and the
                                  > carbon is released as CO2, but it stays in a tied up form for a LONG
                                  > time, unlike the carbon in vegetation.
                                  >
                                  > Rick

                                  Nice tie in Rick (With a hangers knot I suppose)

                                  Ralph

                                • C C Wayah
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                                    But trees do convert C02 to carbom and relese 02
                                    in photosynthesis while liveing. So they have a natural
                                    conversion process that industry does not.

                                    I;ve read large cities would quickly litterialy suffocate if it weren';t for
                                    the tress with the winds blowing near them from the forested areass around
                                    them I'm guessing that the life spoan of a tree out converts the C02 it
                                    does releae when it dies.

                                    Rogene

                                    Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Beeswax

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 6, 2007
                                      I;ve read large cities would quickly litterialy suffocate if it weren';t for
                                      the tress with the winds blowing near them from the forested areass around
                                      them I'm guessing that the life spoan of a tree out converts the C02 it
                                      does releae when it dies.

                                      Rogene

                                      Sorry, every bit of CO2 a tree stores as carbohydrates comes out again as it
                                      decomposes to CO2, UNLESS it gets buried in a swamp and converted to coal
                                      etc.

                                      I'm not saying that trees are bad, I'm just saying that they are only a
                                      temporary carbon storage device (for a few decades).

                                      Ralph

                                      Besides we need them to hang hammocks.

                                    • Jack Rowe
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 7, 2007
                                        Much of the carbon tied up in trees goes into the soil's organic matter upon tree's death...soil is now considered to hold more carbon (humus and live biomass) than above-ground sources.

                                        re: hammock tree damage, if the same tree were used over and over like a campsite, I think it would suffer greatly. Viva stealth camping!

                                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 8, 2007
                                          hacktorious wrote:
                                          > "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"
                                          >
                                          > NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
                                          > wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
                                          > reference for this information? Thanks.

                                          Burning anything produces CO2, but pound for pound, I assume wood
                                          produces less CO2 than fossil fuels. Of the fossil fuels (data from
                                          Wright & Nebel 2002. Environmental Science: Towards a Sustainable
                                          Future), coal is the big baddie. It produces almost twice as much CO2
                                          as natural gas. Gasoline produces about 1.3 times as much as natural gas.

                                          The nice thing about burning wood is that it can be much more efficient
                                          than burning fossil fuels, especially if you're using an efficient wood
                                          burning stove. The problem with all the other sources (alcohol,
                                          canisters, esbit, white gas) is that it takes energy (often
                                          petrochemical) and water to harvest it and to make it. When you're
                                          burning alcohol, there's a net energy loss: harvest, fermentation,
                                          distillation, burning. The distilling, especially, requires lots of
                                          energy. Just think how the revenue officers tracked down stills during
                                          prohibition. For processing esbit and natural gas and white gas, you
                                          have the same problem. We're not burning the stuff exactly as it comes
                                          out of the ground, we have to use energy (usually by burning oil) to
                                          turn it into a usable form. And then there's the packaging and the
                                          energy required to make and recycle it.

                                          Now, the real problem with burning wood is: where did the wood come
                                          from? Folks in Europe recently discovered this problem with their
                                          palm-oil ethanol. Burning ethanol made from palm oil was great for
                                          lowering EU's CO2. The problem was, it was increasing the planet's
                                          atmospheric CO2. This was because Indonesia was (and is) cutting down
                                          (and burning) tropical forest to plant palm trees for palm oil.

                                          So, the point really isn't to plant trees, but to stop deforestation.
                                          There is no way that new plantations of baby trees (or even 40-year-old
                                          plantations of young trees) can capture and hold more CO2 than old
                                          forests. It's not just the CO2 in the trees, it's the CO2 that's been
                                          pumped into the ground as organic matter.

                                          And let's face it, a plantation full of baby trees is no place to hang a
                                          hammock. Baby trees are too bushy and too small. You'll end up
                                          sleeping on the ground. And the ground won't be any good for sleeping
                                          because it won't have that cushiony organic layer.

                                          CL