Re: Hammock Camping OK.....first question

  • Paul Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
      >Interested in how others stow gear (non bearbaggable (how's that
      >word!) while sleeping. Presently, I keep it under me, on the ground
      >covered w/ rain fly. Any thoughts?

      I carry two pack covers and use them both to wrap up my pack underneath the
      hammock.

      >Aslo how about your boots/trail shoes? Where do you put them when in
      >the hammock? I kind of step out of them as I pull my legs up ( I
      >have a Hennessey) then reach down and cover them. I'm wondering if I
      >may find a visitor one morning attracted to the salt scent.

      I switch from trail shoes to sandals for camp. The shoes get covered by the
      pack cover alongside the pack. The sandals go in with me when I get into my
      Hennessey. I take the sandals off and hang them from the hammock ridge
      line.

      Too Tall

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
        One time I was testing an HH and took along a Hammock Bliss
        cloth hammock to try out as well. It turned rainy partway
        through the first day, and by the time I made camp the
        ground was sodden.

        I slung the Hammock Bliss hammock directly under the HH and
        stashed my gear in that. It worked like a charm. I just had
        to nudge the bottom hammock aside to enter or exit from the
        HH.

        It made me think that taking along a light net hammock for
        gear stowage might be a good idea if bad weather was
        expected. It also made me think that a net hammock slung
        under the HH might be a good way to hold bottom insulation
        under and against the HH. Never tried that out though...

        For my shoes, I carry a keychain caribiner tied to a couple
        of feet of paracord. In the day I wrap this around a nearby
        tree to give me a hook to hang stuff on. At night I loop it
        over the ridgeline with the carabiner hanging down, just
        outside the HH. I tie my shoelaces together and clip them
        onto the carabiner when I get in.

        This leaves my shoes hanging outside the hammock, midway to
        the ground. But it's still easy to grab the line and unclip
        the shoes when I want to get out.

        Bear
      • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003

          > I slung the Hammock Bliss hammock directly under the HH and
          > stashed my gear in that. It worked like a charm. I just had
          > to nudge the bottom hammock aside to enter or exit from the
          > HH.
          >
          > It made me think that taking along a light net hammock for
          > gear stowage might be a good idea if bad weather was
          > expected.
          > Bear

          What a great idea Bear! Thanks for sharing