Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's

  • Randal Swink
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
      I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
      NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?

      On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
      > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
      > >
      > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
      > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
      > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
      > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
      > multiple spare batteries.
      >
      > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
      > Links

    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
        I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
        NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?
        ******************

        Here is a link to some reviews on just such a device

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Electronic%20Devices/Solar%20Charger
        s/Exponent%20Flex%205%20System%20with%20Batt%20Pak/

        I think

        TV
      • michael thomas
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
          go to brigade quatermaster..( army surplus type place) they have a
          rechargerjust for cell phones batteries..as i recall they had a solar
          charger you colud hook on top of the pack to charge as you walk during the
          day...
          http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/results.tam?

          http://windupradio.com/solarpanel.htm

          also try
          ;;http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp?command=text&ip_text=solar+battery+charger

          >From: "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>
          >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's
          >Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:12:39 -0600
          >
          >I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
          >NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?
          >

          >On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard
          > > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
          > > >
          > > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
          > > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
          > > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
          > > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
          > > multiple spare batteries.
          > >
          > > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
          > > Links

          Win a Zune��make MSN� your homepage for your chance to win!
          http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
            i don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread about reading in the cold, but a hammock sock that's just big enough to put over the ridge line or clip to the ridge line, will give you a wind free enclosed area that would probably be 10-15° warmer than outside.
            and did i mention wind free? ...tim

          • ian toal
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
              I have another link for you for solar powered chargers. The sight is really good and has a lot of solar powered options for home, travel and camping. Check it out...Solar Cell Phone Charger :: Silicon Solar Inc

              This link leads to cell phone chargers but you can find battery chargers here too.

              Enjoy,

              Ian

              Randal Swink <rswink@...> wrote: I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
              NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?

              On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
              > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
              > >
              > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
              > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
              > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
              > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
              > multiple spare batteries.
              >
              > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
              > Links

            • Deb
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                Another website is for solar chargers is solio.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Hey, thanks for all the great ides on reading lights. I like the idea of
                  MP3s and audio books best (small and light!) but I'll probably be fashioning
                  contraptions out of coat hangers and clips, too. If there are any
                  successful prototypes I'll let you know.
                  David

                  Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft�
                • michael thomas
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 24, 2007
                    if you are fully commited to this idea..try looking at trucker gear i have
                    seen book holders for paper backs and larger books being sold at major truck
                    stops..these have several atachment points for hooking to visors and
                    such..safe journeys

                    >From: "David Elliott" <delliott78@...>
                    >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's
                    >Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:02:05 -0500
                    >
                    >Hey, thanks for all the great ides on reading lights. I like the idea of
                    >MP3s and audio books best (small and light!) but I'll probably be
                    >fashioning
                    >contraptions out of coat hangers and clips, too. If there are any
                    >successful prototypes I'll let you know.
                    >David

                    >Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from
                    >Microsoft�
                    >Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0540002499mrt/direct/01/
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!