Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: space blankets/condensation

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
      Jeff,

      That's what I've done for six nights out in January and February and it worked great. One thing you have to watch for is how long the space blanket lasts for. I noticed silver flecks in my hammock after the second night and when I held the blanket up and looked through it there was noticeable wear, (lines and creases where the silver had come off) After that the blanket didn't work nearly as well until I switched it out with a new one. I've spent one night on my back porch with the temp. down to - 16 degrees Fahrenheit with the wind chill and I was O.K. I woke up cool after 3 hours but with another layer I would of been fine. Again this was with a new space blanket under my inflatable pad and a zero degree bag. From my experience the space blanket makes a big difference.

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      Jeff Ross <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote: So how about putting the space blanket under your sleeping bag/pad?
      Does that keep you a lot warmer from underneath?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "coyotefrog" <jackrowe@...>
      wrote:

      > Ian wrote: what ever you do, on cold nights, do not put a heat
      > reflective blanket on top of your sleeping bag.
      >
      > Man I gotta say amen to that one. Got into lightweight camping as a
      > kid, not for weight but because I had no gear...used a poncho for
      > tent/tarp/rain gear, etc. Last year did a hike in the low 30'sF and
      > humid, for sleeping used my cold weather clothing, a 1/2" ccf pad
      > underneath, and a space blanket covered w/ my poncho on top, all
      > burrowed into a nice little thicket for more cover.
      >
      > Was GREAT about half the night, very warm until I woke up after 2am
      > SOAKED from condensation and spent the rest of the night freezing
      my
      > (unexposed...is this important?) butt off and catching a cold.
      >
      > It's condensation that gets us most often in the cold, whether from
      > the ground or our own breath/perspiration...in fact most
      hypothermia
      > cases happen at relatively high temps (30 - 55F) but after sweating
      > and waiting too long to eat in order to get someplace or set up in
      the
      > evening and then stopping -- hungry, tired, wet and immediately
      > getting cold.
      >
      > Not just space blankets (the reflectivity w/ air space truly is
      very
      > effective if condensation is dealt with), but any non-breathable
      > materials.

    • John and Jessica
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
        I've had pretty good luck with space blankets to beef up my insulation. I
        put a 5' CCP in the hammock with me, with a space blanket in between the
        hammock and underquilt. I can tell a big difference, but whether it's from
        radiant or convective heat loss I don't know.

        -John
        www.sourcetosea.net

        --
        Visit www.SourcetoSea.net for more information about our 2,150 mile
        expedition down the Mississippi River to benefit the Audubon Society.

      • Jack Rowe
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
          The space blankets do need an air space to work, any part you weren't actually touching would work but not areas making contact...I didn't know how crumbly they are, light enough to carry 2+ but no fun making a lot of trash in the woods. If using as a vapor barrier it'd be inside insulation, but it would be a crumbly vapor barrier and anyway needs the air space to function best.

          Next time I try it the blanket will be fixed to the underside of my over-tarp. IR reflectors are certainly very effective with a campfire, even using dull-finished logs and rocks.

          Jack, NE New Mexico US 7,000 ft

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
            I'm jumping in a little late on this one but I have used my space
            blanket (bivy sack style) several times for extra warmth with fairly
            good results. I have used it between my clothed body and my CCF pad
            and under the hammock when testing the HH Supershelter, and I've
            used as it was ment, as a bivy where I was inside the blanket then
            inside my sleeping bag.

            Between me and the CCF results in moisture build up and although it
            did help a little I woke up a damp backside.

            Under me in the HH Supershelter, I didn't notice a difference.

            Me inside the blanket inside my sleeping bag added at least 5 to 8
            degrees of warmth. I was able to use a 45 F bag in 38 F weather.
            My outer layer of clothes were a little damp in the morning though.

            The bivy sack has vents at the feet so that helps a little when
            lying inside the bag.

            Jamie in AZ

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Rowe" <jackrowe@...>
            wrote:

            > The space blankets do need an air space to work, any part you
            weren't actually touching would work but not areas making
            contact...I didn't know how crumbly they are, light enough to carry
            2+ but no fun making a lot of trash in the woods. If using as a
            vapor barrier it'd be inside insulation, but it would be a crumbly
            vapor barrier and anyway needs the air space to function best.

            > Next time I try it the blanket will be fixed to the underside of
            my over-tarp. IR reflectors are certainly very effective with a
            campfire, even using dull-finished logs and rocks.

            > Jack, NE New Mexico US 7,000 ft

          • chrispbbb
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2007
              I live in Canada and have camped in my hammock down to 0F / -20C. I
              have a Hennessy Hammock with the SuperShelter.
              My sleeping bag is a rectangular side-zipper type rated for 32F. I
              wear a synthetic base layer and fleece top and pants.
              However, the biggest difference I find for warmth is how I use a
              space (reflective) blanket. I have made a top and pants out of the
              material that I wear between the base layer and the fleece layer.
              The space blanket both reflects back radiant heat loss and acts as a
              vapour barrier. The vapour barrier part is important to minimize
              body moisture loss (i.e. dehydration) in sub-zero temperatures.
              With the space blanket layer I am toasty warm all night, without I
              would freeze.
              There is condensation buildup under the space blanket, but thanks to
              the base layer it is wicked over your body and does not become
              uncomfortable.
              The only downside I find is the crinkly noise made but this is
              muffled under the fleece layer and inside the sleeping bag.

              The important thing about using a space blanket is that it must be
              close to your body with a small air gap (i.e. base layer). Otherwise
              it is ineffective at reflecting back the radiant heat loss.

              Cheers,
              Chris

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > I'm jumping in a little late on this one but I have used my space
              > blanket (bivy sack style) several times for extra warmth with
              fairly
              > good results. I have used it between my clothed body and my CCF
              pad
              > and under the hammock when testing the HH Supershelter, and I've
              > used as it was ment, as a bivy where I was inside the blanket then
              > inside my sleeping bag.
              >
              > Between me and the CCF results in moisture build up and although it
              > did help a little I woke up a damp backside.
              >
              > Under me in the HH Supershelter, I didn't notice a difference.
              >
              > Me inside the blanket inside my sleeping bag added at least 5 to 8
              > degrees of warmth. I was able to use a 45 F bag in 38 F weather.
              > My outer layer of clothes were a little damp in the morning though.
              >
              > The bivy sack has vents at the feet so that helps a little when
              > lying inside the bag.
              >
              > Jamie in AZ
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Rowe" <jackrowe@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > The space blankets do need an air space to work, any part you
              > weren't actually touching would work but not areas making
              > contact...I didn't know how crumbly they are, light enough to carry
              > 2+ but no fun making a lot of trash in the woods. If using as a
              > vapor barrier it'd be inside insulation, but it would be a crumbly
              > vapor barrier and anyway needs the air space to function best.
              > >
              > > Next time I try it the blanket will be fixed to the underside of
              > my over-tarp. IR reflectors are certainly very effective with a
              > campfire, even using dull-finished logs and rocks.
              > >
              > > Jack, NE New Mexico US 7,000 ft

            • robbstanek
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 17, 2007
                I recently used one of the Adeventure Medical Bivy Sack style space
                blankets in my HH with the under-cover with good success. It kept my
                bottom side nice and warm throughout the night. This was in the 30's
                with a 20 deg down bag and some clothing on.