stoves

  • Jeff Ross
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
      What are the pros and cons of the following types of cooking stoves?
      - propane
      - white gas
      - alcohol

      Whatever stove and fuel that I use will be carried either by me or my
      goats.
    • teblum
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
        -Jeff

        Go to Whiteblaze Appalachian Trail forum

        In the articles section there is a comprehensive write up giving the
        exact answers you are asking for. All wrapped up, with a red ribbon on it.

        Try it, you'll like it

        Miles of Smiles
        Tom
      • scmorse1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
          Jeff,

          Check out http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

          Lots of good info there.

          -Steve

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Ross"

        • list@moz.geek.nz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
            > Check out http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

            A good summary, but YMMV. Mine does - I have owned two Coleman Apex
            multifuel stoves and never had to service either of them bar sending
            one back to get new pump seals after ~5 years frequent use (it was
            stolen a couple of months later so I bought a replacement). My
            same-age Fairydown sleeping bag also needed new down about the same
            time (to give you a usage comparison point).

            I suspect these things vary a lot, I know that MSR stoves are notorious
            for being high maintenance but if every gram is important they are both
            lighter and use less fuel than the Coleman ones (more noticeable with
            kerosene, which is also favoured by the EGS crowd). The Apex also
            simmers and can be lit with a flint lighter in warm conditions. I've
            only used lighter paste with kero in the snow, never with petrol etc.

            Moz
          • Jeff Ross
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
              Thanks for the info, guys. I just enlisted in whiteblaze.net
              Looks like a wealth of info, even tho I will probably never see the
              Appalachian Trail. My AO is the Rocky Mtns, especially SW NM.