Flash-light's

  • Bill C.
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 20, 2007
      Just wondering how many of you guys use led or standard bulb
      flashlights. I have retired all of my standard flashlights for the
      more efficient LED one's.
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 20, 2007
        i belive all mine are LEDs now.
        i take a prinston tec EOS & have a photon freedom around my neck.
        the one around my neck is a back up, but is often handy when it gets dark before i think about my head lamp being in my pack. it's always w/ me, day & night.
        ...tim

        "Bill C." <theocles45@...> wrote:
        Just wondering how many of you guys use led or standard bulb
        flashlights. I have retired all of my standard flashlights for the
        more efficient LED one's.

      • Steve Joiner
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 20, 2007
          I use a petzl tikka headlamp as my primary light, with a Princeton pulse
          impulse (with clip for hat) as backup (also great for reading in a
          hammock!).

          _____

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 20, 2007
            led's are the only way to go....i keep one of those small finger lights in
            the net bag on the ridge line of my HH it is so small i dont even notice
            it,,,but i can hook it on the ridge and read by it before going to sleep..i
            could never have done that with my old flashlight,,,

            >From: "Bill C." <theocles45@...>
            >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Flash-light's
            >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:36:51 -0000
            >
            >Just wondering how many of you guys use led or standard bulb
            >flashlights. I have retired all of my standard flashlights for the
            >more efficient LED one's.

            Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in as
            fast as 1 year
            http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116
          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 21, 2007
              I bought a few of those keychain micro light LED's. They are extremely
              bright for their weight and cheap (on ebay) too. I love them.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
              <blackoracle69@...> wrote:

              > led's are the only way to go....i keep one of those small finger
              lights in
              > the net bag on the ridge line of my HH it is so small i dont even
              notice
              > it,,,but i can hook it on the ridge and read by it before going to
              sleep..i
              > could never have done that with my old flashlight,,,
              >

              > >From: "Bill C." <theocles45@...>
              > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Flash-light's
              > >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:36:51 -0000
              > >
              > >Just wondering how many of you guys use led or standard bulb
              > >flashlights. I have retired all of my standard flashlights for the
              > >more efficient LED one's.

              > Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online -
              in as
              > fast as 1 year

              http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116

            • David Elliott
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 21, 2007
                One thing I want to rig someday is something to hold a book from a
                ridgeline. If I could read without freezing the hand holding the book I'd
                be able to get through those long winter nights. Anybody done this?
                David

                Intro*Terms http://www.NexTag.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 21, 2007
                  no, but you may need a little more structure to the ridge line, according to the type book.
                  and a way to hold it open & facing you.
                  maybe two attachment points w/ cord-locks for adjustment??? ...tim

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 21, 2007
                    wear glove on the book holding hand?

                    --
                    Walk Well!

                    Rick (Risk)

                    *********************************
                    http://www.imrisk.com
                    author of
                    A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                    www.wayahpress.com
                    *********************************
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 21, 2007
                      you would have to go & simplify things rick<g>

                      Rick <ra1@...> wrote: wear glove on the book holding hand?

                      --
                      Walk Well!

                      Rick (Risk)

                      *********************************
                      http://www.imrisk.com
                      author of
                      A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                      www.wayahpress.com
                      *********************************

                      Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities. Links

                    • David Elliott
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                        Been through a number of cold winters in a tent doing that. Kept needing to
                        change hands.
                        David

                        http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
                      • David Elliott
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                          Forgot to mention: hard to turn pages in gloves.
                          David

                          simple tips.
                          http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline
                        • Tod Massa
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                            Uhhh...this even seems overly complex to me...why not simply read underneath your quilt or sleeping bag?

                            Tod

                            --

                            Walk Well!

                            Rick (Risk)

                            ************ ********* ********* ***

                            http://www.imrisk com

                            author of

                            A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike

                            www.wayahpress. com

                            ************ ********* ********* ***

                            Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities. Links

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                            #ygrp-text{
                            font-family:Georgia;
                            }
                            #ygrp-text p{
                            margin:0 0 1em 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                            font-family:Arial;
                            clear:both;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vitnav{
                            padding-top:10px;
                            font-family:Verdana;
                            font-size:77%;
                            margin:0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vitnav a{
                            padding:0 1px;
                            }
                            #ygrp-actbar{
                            clear:both;
                            margin:25px 0;
                            white-space:nowrap;
                            color:#666;
                            text-align:right;
                            }
                            #ygrp-actbar .left{
                            float:left;
                            white-space:nowrap;
                            }
                            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                            #ygrp-grft{
                            font-family:Verdana;
                            font-size:77%;
                            padding:15px 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-ft{
                            font-family:verdana;
                            font-size:77%;
                            border-top:1px solid #666;
                            padding:5px 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                            padding-bottom:10px;
                            }

                            #ygrp-vital{
                            background-color:#e0ecee;
                            margin-bottom:20px;
                            padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                            font-size:77%;
                            font-family:Verdana;
                            font-weight:bold;
                            color:#333;
                            text-transform:uppercase;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital ul{
                            padding:0;
                            margin:2px 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital ul li{
                            list-style-type:none;
                            clear:both;
                            border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                            font-weight:bold;
                            color:#ff7900;
                            float:right;
                            width:2em;
                            text-align:right;
                            padding-right:.5em;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                            font-weight:bold;
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital a {
                            text-decoration:none;
                            }

                            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                            text-decoration:underline;
                            }

                            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                            color:#999;
                            font-size:77%;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                            padding:6px 13px;
                            background-color:#e0ecee;
                            margin-bottom:20px;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                            padding:0 0 0 8px;
                            margin:0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                            list-style-type:square;
                            padding:6px 0;
                            font-size:77%;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                            text-decoration:none;
                            font-size:130%;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                            background-color:#eee;
                            margin-bottom:20px;
                            padding:0 8px;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                            padding:8px 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                            font-family:Arial;
                            font-weight:bold;
                            color:#628c2a;
                            font-size:100%;
                            line-height:122%;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                            text-decoration:none;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                            text-decoration:underline;
                            }
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                            margin:0;
                            }
                            o {font-size:0;}
                            .MsoNormal {
                            margin:0 0 0 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-text tt{
                            font-size:120%;
                            }
                            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                            .replbq {margin:4;}
                            -->

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                              Yep. Hard to turn pages. I usually hold the book in a gloved hand and
                              turn pages with an ungloved hand. I imagine that any system with a book
                              hanging from the ridgeline would also require turning pages with a hand
                              too.

                              Rick

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                                On 2/22/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                                > Yep. Hard to turn pages. I usually hold the book in a gloved hand and
                                > turn pages with an ungloved hand. I imagine that any system with a book
                                > hanging from the ridgeline would also require turning pages with a hand
                                > too.

                                I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
                                push tiny buttons with gloves on :]

                                Ralph

                              • Steve Joiner
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                                  Don't forget the hand that's holding the sipping canteen! Then's there's
                                  the water bottle to sip on after you take a sip of the good stuff.while
                                  holding the book, and trying to turn the pages..maybe I should reexamine the
                                  idea of hanging the book from the ridgeline! ;^)

                                  _____

                                  David Elliott wrote:
                                  > Forgot to mention: hard to turn pages in gloves.
                                  > David

                                • Jimmie F Eller jr
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                                    think along the lines of one of those clothing hangers
                                    with the spring clamps for pants or skirts, something
                                    along those lines would work

                                    Never miss an email again!
                                  • michael thomas
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 22, 2007
                                      i suggest audio book..i can remain warn and toasty and expand my horizions..

                                      >From: "David Elliott" <delliott78@...>
                                      >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's
                                      >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:43:32 -0500
                                      >
                                      >One thing I want to rig someday is something to hold a book from a
                                      >ridgeline. If I could read without freezing the hand holding the book I'd
                                      >be able to get through those long winter nights. Anybody done this?
                                      >David

                                      >Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month.
                                      >Intro*Terms http://www.NexTag.com

                                    • jonas4321
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007

                                        > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
                                        > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]

                                        I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
                                        Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
                                        Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
                                        flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
                                        multiple spare batteries.

                                        Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
                                      • Randal Swink
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                          I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
                                          NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?

                                          On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
                                          > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
                                          > >
                                          > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
                                          > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
                                          > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
                                          > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
                                          > multiple spare batteries.
                                          >
                                          > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
                                          > Links

                                        • Thomas Vickers
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                            I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
                                            NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?
                                            ******************

                                            Here is a link to some reviews on just such a device

                                            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Electronic%20Devices/Solar%20Charger
                                            s/Exponent%20Flex%205%20System%20with%20Batt%20Pak/

                                            I think

                                            TV
                                          • michael thomas
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                              go to brigade quatermaster..( army surplus type place) they have a
                                              rechargerjust for cell phones batteries..as i recall they had a solar
                                              charger you colud hook on top of the pack to charge as you walk during the
                                              day...
                                              http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/results.tam?

                                              http://windupradio.com/solarpanel.htm

                                              also try
                                              ;;http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp?command=text&ip_text=solar+battery+charger

                                              >From: "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>
                                              >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's
                                              >Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:12:39 -0600
                                              >
                                              >I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
                                              >NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?
                                              >

                                              >On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard
                                              > > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
                                              > > >
                                              > > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
                                              > > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
                                              > > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
                                              > > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
                                              > > multiple spare batteries.
                                              > >
                                              > > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
                                              > >

                                              > > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
                                              > > Links

                                              Win a Zune��make MSN� your homepage for your chance to win!
                                              http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                                i don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread about reading in the cold, but a hammock sock that's just big enough to put over the ridge line or clip to the ridge line, will give you a wind free enclosed area that would probably be 10-15° warmer than outside.
                                                and did i mention wind free? ...tim

                                              • ian toal
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                                  I have another link for you for solar powered chargers. The sight is really good and has a lot of solar powered options for home, travel and camping. Check it out...Solar Cell Phone Charger :: Silicon Solar Inc

                                                  This link leads to cell phone chargers but you can find battery chargers here too.

                                                  Enjoy,

                                                  Ian

                                                  Randal Swink <rswink@...> wrote: I really want a way to solar/mechanical charge a MP3 player, cell phone, or
                                                  NiMH batteries for the GPS. Anybody know of anything like that?

                                                  On 2/23/07, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I tried a palm top computer with a guttenberg book loaded..... hard to
                                                  > > push tiny buttons with gloves on :]
                                                  > >
                                                  > I am hooked on audiobooks, either from the library or from my
                                                  > Audible.com account. From the library, I rip the CD's to MP3, from
                                                  > Audible, they are ready for an MP3 player. I use a 1G Creative Labs
                                                  > flash-based MP3 player and earbuds. Weighs less than a book even with
                                                  > multiple spare batteries.
                                                  >
                                                  > Taking a glove off to hit the button once or twice is not a hassle.
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities.
                                                  > Links

                                                • Deb
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 23, 2007
                                                    Another website is for solar chargers is solio.com

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 24, 2007
                                                      Hey, thanks for all the great ides on reading lights. I like the idea of
                                                      MP3s and audio books best (small and light!) but I'll probably be fashioning
                                                      contraptions out of coat hangers and clips, too. If there are any
                                                      successful prototypes I'll let you know.
                                                      David

                                                      Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft�
                                                    • michael thomas
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 24, 2007
                                                        if you are fully commited to this idea..try looking at trucker gear i have
                                                        seen book holders for paper backs and larger books being sold at major truck
                                                        stops..these have several atachment points for hooking to visors and
                                                        such..safe journeys

                                                        >From: "David Elliott" <delliott78@...>
                                                        >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                                        >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Flash-light's
                                                        >Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:02:05 -0500
                                                        >
                                                        >Hey, thanks for all the great ides on reading lights. I like the idea of
                                                        >MP3s and audio books best (small and light!) but I'll probably be
                                                        >fashioning
                                                        >contraptions out of coat hangers and clips, too. If there are any
                                                        >successful prototypes I'll let you know.
                                                        >David

                                                        >Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from
                                                        >Microsoft�
                                                        >Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0540002499mrt/direct/01/
                                                        >

                                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                        Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!